How to kill this unwanted intruding plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
How do I go about killing the small weeds that are growing up through my patio pavers? Sadly there's no weed mat underneath the bricks. I've tried commercial spray herbacide twice on other weeds before and both times ended up effecting plants nearby so I won't be going that route again. I tried pouring heavily salted water in the cracks but they aren't large enough and the water just ran down the sidewalk. I guess I need something that'll do the job that I can brush on and has no chance of transmitting through the air like I've seen before.

thanks

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It might depend on the kind of weed and how deep rooted it is but a friend of mine has a similar problem and he has used everything from roundup to vinegar mixed with soap and Epsom salt but they eventually always grow back so now he just burns them off with a tiger torch when they start popping up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It might depend on the kind of weed and how deep rooted it is but a friend of mine has a similar problem and he has used everything from roundup to vinegar mixed with soap and Epsom salt but they eventually always grow back so now he just burns them off with a tiger torch when they start popping up.
When I have to weed around plants in my vegetable garden I just use an old foam rubber floor mop. You can get right next to a valuable plant and never harm it. Just mix up your chemicals like you were going to spray but pour it into a bucket. Stick your mop in and wring out just the excess so it doesn't drip all over your plants and start mopping away on those pesky weeds

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I have to weed around plants in my vegetable garden I just use an old foam rubber floor mop. You can get right next to a valuable plant and never harm it. Just mix up your chemicals like you were going to spray but pour it into a bucket. Stick your mop in and wring out just the excess so it doesn't drip all over your plants and start mopping away on those pesky weeds
Ok have to remember this. Knew before hand but have problems remembering.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice.

Here's some pictures of the weeds if it helps. They're coming up in multiple spots but they all seem to be the same plant.

weed1 (1).JPG

weed2.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend gave me a first world war German army pocket knife. I run it along the cracks, no poisons no chemicals, quick and easy, and it also lifts any dirt or moss accumulating in them. then just a quick sweep and into the compost.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you pack sand between the pavers every year the grass will leave. The only reason you have grass there is because the grass can get nutrients. A single grain of sand has 7 cutting edges and is what they use to cut diamonds. Sand cuts the tiny roots before they can mature. Plus sand has no nutrients the grass can use. Your problem is not grass, it's the soil between the pavers.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Whatever kind of grass that is the roots would be under the stones and would just keep coming back. I still think burning it with a tiger torch or even a blow torch would not only kill it for the time being but you wouldn't have the dead ugly grass still there like it would if you used weed killer. It would be the fastest and least backbreaking way to remove it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
All paving stones are not supposed to be installed directly on topsoil for that reason. After you pull all the weeds from the cracks get a bag of play sand and take a broom and work the sand in all the cracks and that will stop the grass from growing in the cracks. I have done this on many jobs to prevent the grass from growing out of the cracks.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If it was that easy then everyone would save time and money by placing them right on top of the soil. If you do take the time to scrape out every weed and bit of dirt between the cracks on your hands and knees I would use polymeric sand to fill in the cracks. But it might make more sense just to pull up the stones and do it properly so they are not sitting on soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What kind of chemicals do you use? My luck hasn't been so good.

Ask a Question