How much room do Begonias need?

Reaction score
I am planting Begonias for the first time this year. My oldest daughter had a fundraiser with one of the local farms and I bought Begonias and pre-ordered vegetable plants too. I will be picking them up either today or tomorrow. I have some work to do getting the area ready since I have never planted this many flowers and I am using a different space in the yard from where I usually plant my plants. And the order was a flat of 32, which I may give some to my friend if I don't have enough room for them all.

I do have an area where they will not see direct sun as I seem to remember reading that they prefer indirect sunlight. That is why I picked these, I am out of sunny locations for new plants!

One question I have is how much room do Begonias need when I plant them? I am sure I shouldn't plant them right on top of each other, but can I put them maybe 6 inches apart or is that not enough room?

If you have any other tips, that would be much appreciated too!

Reaction score
Generally six to eight inches apart is fine. As long as they are not planted in direct sunlight they will do well. I fertilize them with a fertilizer that is 20-20-20 composition to keep them blooming.

Reaction score
If you are planting in a garden, six to eight inches is best. If in a pot, two to three inches is okay. Begonias need partial shade, as well. Water well after planting to avoid transplant shock. But afterwards water lightly with sprinkler every few days, Begonias do not handle alot of water well. Begonias do have to he replanted each year, though.

Ask a Question