How Many Places Have You Gardened?

Reaction score
I've gardened in Florida, Texas and Georgia. I just moved to Iowa and I am have to get used to a new zone. People say it has snowed until April here, I don't know how I am going work with that.

Reaction score
Shellyann36 said - " It must be so very challenging to live in that environment. How long have you lived there? "

It certainly is a very challenging environment and not just from a gardening point of view but also that of life in general and although after nearly twelve years of living with it I have become more used to it - each year always has a challenge of one sort or another - as no one year is ever the same where the weather is concerned and as you never know which of the extremes is going to be more extreme than usual - there is only so much you can do in order to be prepared for it :D

I can only imagine adding in the mood swings that Mother Nature seems to be going through. Have you ever thought of moving again?

I've gardened in Florida, Texas and Georgia. I just moved to Iowa and I am have to get used to a new zone. People say it has snowed until April here, I don't know how I am going work with that.

Oh yikes! I wish you luck with adjusting to the colder weather and the snow lasting so long. You are accustomed to long growing seasons and now they will be cut short. Time to implement a green house or a cold frame. Good luck to you. Keep us up to date on your journey!

Reaction score
Yes ShellyAnn, It will be a big adjustment. To change my garden pattern is a challenge. But, I will make it work. I am in a small apartment so a greenhouse is out of the question.

Reaction score
I have lived here in North Carolina my entire life. I have only gardened in three counties in the state and I can say that there was a major difference in the temps in one county as opposed to the other two. It was quite a bit warmer because it had more of a southern exposure. My husband and I were discussing the differences in some of the planting times of the areas that we have lived and that got me to thinking of this question.

How many places have you gardened and how different were the extremes? Have you gone from a cooler climate to gardening in a tropical area? Please do share your experiences.

So far in three different locations two different countries. We lived in Norfolk in the U.K in a place called Fakenham which was the start to my gardening addiction, then a small shop we owned had no land out back, so we fought with the council for 18 months to get allotments started, then we left for Ireland.

Now I've got 2.5 acres of land and a sizable growing plot that is really to big to keep up with.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
When we could not smell the grapes but every once in awhile we would pull at grape or two off the vine to see if they were ready. It did help that we were friends with the owners.

One new plant I grew in California was cabbage. I had no experience with growing the plant, it was a not an easy plant to grow, I got worms in the plant which made not want to grow it again.

What was your hardest plant to grow?

Reaction score
@Rzashida You will have to stick to container gardening but it will be worth it. Even if you just have a few herb plants growing or a tomato plant. Keep it simple but it will be rewarding.

@Andy1982 Do you keep the entire acerage plated?

@Pat MY hardest thing to grow is cucumbers. I can never get them to produce very well. It is horrible because I love cucumbers!

Reaction score
@Rzashida You will have to stick to container gardening but it will be worth it. Even if you just have a few herb plants growing or a tomato plant. Keep it simple but it will be rewarding.

@Andy1982 Do you keep the entire acerage plated?

@Pat MY hardest thing to grow is cucumbers. I can never get them to produce very well. It is horrible because I love cucumbers!

No we don't, maybe 1/10th on an acre but even that's too much because we only use hand tools and the pig is our tractor. Even that is too much to keep growing well so we will this year be going more for spuds than anything else.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
As you no I am in Scotland when I 1st got married never had a garden till 3 yrs later which was a small garden .

But then 10 yrs later we built our home we are in now and I have a large garden.

There has been many changes and I think I am nearly there just 2 more rhodendrums to buy for my back garden and some more snowdrop but still all the climate of Scotland.

But where I volunteer is Glamis Castle Walled Garden Restoration Project which is a micro climate and it makes interesting growing everyone.

Reaction score
I have gardened in Michigan when I lived there and now at several places I have lived in California. I also have dug up or started gardens at many friend's homes who didn't think they could grow things. I even started a garden in a large cinder block fire pit at a ranch a friend owned in the Mojave desert. With some good base, I added some Miracle grow Moisture control soil along with the sandy soil and they amazed all the neighbors with crops of tomatoes, squash and more.

Ask a Question