How do you manage to keep your tree alive?

Reaction score
I have tried growing a tree in the front yard for the longest time now. Its been three years now and every single time I plant it, it dies. I don't know what I do wrong because I put mulch around it and maintain it well. It grows leaves perfectly but when winter comes around and the leaves fall, the tree doesn't grow again in the spring. What else can I do?

Reaction score
I have never tried growing a tree, but would never be opposed to it. I have watched my father tend to our trees and shrubs for years, and said to myself when I get older I am going to do that. But now that I am an adult the one thing I still do not understand is how someone can manage to cut a tree down, can someone explain that to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Have you tried growing the tree first in a pot? Chances are either the tree is over nourished or undernourished or there is something wrong in your soil. Where are you getting these trees from? Are you sure they are healthy? Maybe you should consult a local landscaper or gardening club for help with this problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I have tried growing a tree in the front yard for the longest time now. Its been three years now and every single time I plant it, it dies. I don't know what I do wrong because I put mulch around it and maintain it well. It grows leaves perfectly but when winter comes around and the leaves fall, the tree doesn't grow again in the spring. What else can I do?
To find out what you're doing wrong you will need to provide a bit more information. First, what is the species of tree? Different trees have different requirements. Secondly, what is the climate like where you live? It's possible that your trees are dying because the weather is too cold for them to survive. Or perhaps you are maintaining them too well. Trees require less water and feeding (possibly no food at all) when the weather gets cold.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums Gardener.

Need more information, where are you, what tree, what is your soil type etc.:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cross posted with Gina there:)

Ask a Question