How did Covid change your garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have been very curious about Covid gardeners. What I refer to a Covid gardener is someone who only gardened or maybe started gardening because of Covid.

I do most of my online orders for my spring projects in January. Those orders were placed well before the full swing of Covid. As the epidemic got worse all the price on gardening stuff increased. Soil by far was so expensive trying to buy a bareroot tree was difficult. The second year was the worst to try and get anything. Glad things are back to normal besides the prices.

At that time a lot of people were drilling me with questions about how they wanted to start a garden. A lot of those people stopped gardening once the epidemic was over. I would have thought that it would teach them a valuable lesson about being self sufficient to a certain extent.

Just curious if it was only me that noticed this. Anyone else have a similar experience?

MOD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A lot of those people stopped gardening once the epidemic was over. I would have thought that it would teach them a valuable lesson about being self sufficient to a certain extent.

I figured on that during the first year when you couldn't find a seed potato because the people who had never grew a garden bought them up and then probably neither planted them or was too lazy to dig them up. I think most people around here that have the time and a little know how still garden but the ones who don't really have time or had problems gardening have hung it up.

On another note alot of people also bought chickens who never had them before and I notice quite a few free ones on craigslist now that egg prices have dropped.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Here's to "webees" as in webee gardening before COVID, webee gardening during COVID, and webee gardening after COVID.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I figured on that during the first year when you couldn't find a seed potato because the people who had never grew a garden bought them up and then probably neither planted them or was too lazy to dig them up. I think most people around here that have the time and a little know how still garden but the ones who don't really have time or had problems gardening have hung it up.

On another note alot of people also bought chickens who never had them before and I notice quite a few free ones on craigslist now that egg prices have dropped.
You actually expanded on what I didnt even consider. The chickens people no longer wanted. Probably many more things too.

MOD

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Only way it affected me was it was harder to get canning jars.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Only way it affected me was it was harder to get canning jars.
Forgot about that. We had the jars. Just needed the lids. If you could find them they were ridiculously priced on Ebay. I think that costed the 'Ball' brand because now Walmart carries the 'Golden Harvest' brand a little cheaper now and that is what I get.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Forgot about that. We had the jars. Just needed the lids. If you could find them they were ridiculously priced on Ebay. I think that costed the 'Ball' brand because now Walmart carries the 'Golden Harvest' brand a little cheaper now and that is what I get.
I had the lids. Couldn't find jars
Man we could have traded

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What makes you think Covid is finished? They have stopped reporting on it, and stopped a lot of the numbers checking, but there are still a heck of a lot of people still dying of it, or suffering from long covid after infections. A good clue is places where the rich and powerful meet, like the recent cop meeting in Dubai. Lots of testing and air purifying going on there. The British Parliament won't approve air filters for schools, but both houses of parliament have filtered air.
From their point of view the world is overpopulated and it is the non productive ones, like the old and already sick, who die first, so as long as it isn't them they don't care about us.
Check out the figures on Google, excess deaths and deaths from Covid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Covid is just another member of the coronavirus family. Of which thousands of varieties are known, and most are harmless. Like any other virus they mutate, sometimes into something a little more dangerous. But historically, viruses mutate into something that doesn't kill the host.

As for checking the data, sorry but it's so muddled that it's unlikely to be of any use. Too much intermingling of "with " and "from "

Excess deaths might be useful but would need to be corrected for population changes and other factors.

On topic, add us yo the weebees. Our biggest challenge was finding lids the first year

Reaction score
Country
United States
I always had a small garden pre-covid but this year it will be about a half acre. Grocery stores are expensive and if you have the land you can save quite a bit of money growing some yourself. Plus a lot of grocery store vegetables do not taste good.

Mike121

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
For me, COVID didn't change my garden...it started my garden. We never grew a garden pre-COVID, except for when I was very young. Once COVID happened, we decided it was best to get one going. We didn't have one the last few years because my dad got sick and we didn't want to mess with it. He passed away a little over a year ago and I think we're all ready to get it going again. So this year we're going to do some things in buckets to see how that goes while we start to prepare a spot for next year's garden this summer. Assuming everything goes to plan, we'll have a pretty good sized garden next year. Who knows, if we can keep the weeds out of it we may even have it ready to go for some fall veggies later this year.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
while we start to prepare a spot for next year's garden this summer.
Summer is the time to be growing, now is the time to be preparing. A quick dig over and bury the weeds, or chop them down with a hoe and rake them out for the compost heap, dig out the odd tap root. It is not a long job, but it can be arduous on a summer's day. Do it over summer and you will have a fresh crop of weeds next spring, weeds are tough, I expect you will find some flowering in mid winter, but do it now and hoe every two weeks or so and you will have a tilth, and it fairly clean of seeds, by summer.

Mike121

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Summer is the time to be growing, now is the time to be preparing. A quick dig over and bury the weeds, or chop them down with a hoe and rake them out for the compost heap, dig out the odd tap root. It is not a long job, but it can be arduous on a summer's day. Do it over summer and you will have a fresh crop of weeds next spring, weeds are tough, I expect you will find some flowering in mid winter, but do it now and hoe every two weeks or so and you will have a tilth, and it fairly clean of seeds, by summer.

I'm doing this in the middle of a field that's grown up terribly with weeds so I'm worried if I don't spend a full year cleaning the ground that I'll just have a garden full of weeds in a few months.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I have used ground like that I have cut out squares and turned them over, there is not much likes being buried nine inches down. That lets the weather break down the sub soil you have exposed as well. Dig again in a year's time and you will find a layer of dead, composted, weeds to incorporate. The best way to clean ground in my experience is regular hoeing, once you have a tilth it is quick and easy to take the weeds down and chop them up before they can flower.

Ask a Question