How can I add soil to a big pot?

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hi. I have a vine in a 60L pot. With every year the soil drops by a few centimeters. I want to refill the pot. How can I do it? Is it possible to add soil straight on top? Or will it cause rot and disease to the trunk? I can't pull the vine and add soil around as it is too heavy. Maybe one of you has a good solution for this? Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240212_140906.jpg
    20240212_140906.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The only real solution is to lift it out/up and add soil to the bottom and sides. You can only add so much mulch at a time without compromising the trunk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with cpp gardener. You could loosen it from the sides with a spade, turn the pot on its side and pull the plant out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The solution is that you can use a large wheelbarrow, and make multiple trips loading and uploading potting mix until all of your planters are filled. you will now be able to fill all of your large planters for the low cost of a couple of grand and sore back.
I think you entirely missed the point. Danzi was talking about topping up individual planters as the soil level in them gradually drops. Not bulk filling a whole batch of planters from scratch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't come up with a good idea for this problem until now, and I think if that was my plant, and if there was nobody to help with the lifting, I would break the pot, and put the whole thing into the soil underneath, or failing that, I would break the pot and pile more soil around the whole thing for protection and let the roots find their own way underneath without constriction.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have always taken plants out and put soil under them, then filled up around the edges, but I have never dealt with anything that big. In my experience it is rarely necessary to loosen the edges by the time the soil has packed down, it usually comes out complete. Tetters idea of breaking the pot to plant sounds practical, but if it is any sort of a pot it would cost a small fortune that size and it would be something of a shame to lose it. It would probably slide out, can't you get help lifting it to get it back in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Danzi Hopefully, between us, we have helped you to decide what to do with your problem. Maybe you could let us know what you decide, and if your problem is solved?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It's not a grafted plant so you might be able to just add mulch to the top. I guess soil sinks all the time in nature and leaves keep falling on top. I'll side with Esther.

Ask a Question