Hot water scarification (and other methods of scarification) for Mimosa tenuiflora seeds

Reaction score
Country
Chile
Hi all! Such joy being in this most helpful of forums!
I have recently acquired some Mimosa tenuiflora seeds. Most resources online suggest using boiling water for scarifying the seeds as they possess a tough waxy shell. The boiling water method is suggested in the vast majority of online resources, followed by making a small incision. An interesting study shows using concentrated sulfuric acid gives outstanding results too (I can't afford sulfuric acid at the moment).
Even if most people agree on the boiling water method , I'm reluctant of trying it. Like somehow it feels very counter-intuitive to pour boiling water on seeds hehe.

So I have basically two main questions:
- What are your preferred methods of scarification for tough seeds?
- How the hell the germ survives boiling water?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Have not grown these being in uk ,but there’s you tube videos on near boiling water on seeds,seeds survive bush fires it’s just to soften the very hard shell so they will sprout ,good luck with your sowing let us know how you get on ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of info here by a grower
In my experience, getting 60-70% germination rate was more simple. I nicked the seeds, soaked them in spring/distilled water for a day or two (until the tail started peeking) and planted them half an inch deep in hydrated jiffy peat pellets. Using fluorescents to get them started, I had no problems. But I suppose the extra steps you mentioned won't hurt.

Seeds were started indoors in december and moved outdoors in june with good results, but I am in a warmer climate than you guys (min. 15ºC, max. 35ºC between april and october)... and as jamie suggests, that makes a difference.

Ask a Question