Hose reel issue

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a brand new junky plastic Suncast hose reel. I'm setting it up with my 50' Goodyear hose and an upgraded leader hose. But it kinks badly at the outlet when I begin spooling! That's a fresh open section of hose, and I "untwist" the hose as I start- what am I missing here?

Attachments

• IMG_5786.JPG
    IMG_5786.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know, but I wonder what would happen if you loosened the circlip and twisted the end round to where it wants to go before tightening up again?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've not had a hose that doesn't kink somewhere, in 50 years.

I've two Hoselock hoses. Like this.

P1050982.JPG

Where they connect to the actual spool, it's by means of a Hoselock connector, which would allow the hose to turn should it want to.

Anyway, you can fit one, rather than a jubilee clip?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm going to look for a metal internal spring to insert for about 6" at inlet. Much like an internal spring in a lower automotive radiator hose. That might work.
IMG_5787.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
No need. just cut away a solid chunk where you have run the hose too far up to the rotating hose nut. The hose is now preventing the designed slip as it is compressing the hose nut against the barb flange. A case of less is more.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No need. just cut away a solid chunk where you have run the hose too far up to the rotating hose nut. The hose is now preventing the designed slip as it is compressing the hose nut against the barb flange. A case of less is more.
Spot on reply right there- thank you very much. Simple mistake. But I did find this part, and think it might be a good idea to use anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_5789.JPG
    IMG_5789.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Did you untwist the hose before or after screwing it on the reel? It looks like your brass fitting is solid, without a rotating nut. If so, you need to screw it on the reel before untwisting it - or get a new hose fitting with separate rotating threaded part. The adapter you show in the second post should avoid the problem (as long as you attach it to the hose before attaching to the reel), because the threaded part rotates freely on the hose and avoid twisting it as you attach it. They are not completely foolproof though, because as you tighten them, the friction of the washer tends to make the hose twist with the threaded part. What I do is twist the hose back straight, while holding the nut part still. Sort of a two handed "ratcheting" motion as it finally tightens.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Update- I used the "hose saver" external spring hose section at the reel's outlet. Just trimming back the hose so the fitting now rotates wasn't enough- it still kinked noticeably at the outlet. I had to first bend the spring to a curve to follow the reel's circumference.
I'm looking for a hose reel with a better design for the outlet.

Ask a Question