Home grown fruit

Reaction score
Does anybody know of any fast growing FRUIT that I can grow at home on my balcony? I live in the Caribbean, so I have tropical weather all year round. I would love something sweet, that doesn't take long to grow and doesn't require too much maintenance. Also, when drying seeds, what exactly should I be doing to make sure that the seeds are dried properly and able to grow when I plant them? Thanx!

-Omari

Reaction score
LOL... yeah man, it's gonna be tough for me to grow melons on my balcony. It's not that big for the time being. I plan on moving sometime this summer though, and wherever I end up will HAVE TO have a bigger balcony. I always forget that tomato is a fruit... Whoever decided to put tomato in the fruit family, should have their gardener's license revoked! :mad:. Cheers!

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I missed communicating my point... Most people growing on their balcony stack things, in the realm of things melons aren't overly bushy like a tomato can be, or take over like beans.

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I missed communicating my point... Most people growing on their balcony stack things, in the realm of things melons aren't overly bushy like a tomato can be, or take over like beans.
That is true. Melons can easily be grown in your balcony a twelve inch container and some heavy stakes is all you need. I have had melons growing in my small balcony.. I have stopped growing them only because of the squirrels that raid my garden. MY dog tries to get into the race when she sees squirrels. Melons are really easy to grow and so are strawberries I am told.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Chillies are also fruit, and some varieties are compact enough that you can take them with you when you move.
They are also very decorative plants, with nice foliage, lovely little white flowers and eventually the fruit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Lucky you! A warm year round climate. I've tried growing small orange and lemon trees in small spaces and would love to have your warmth. Many tropical plants could be kept on a balcony. Take a look at this site http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/Shop/Tropical-Fruits.html.

I grow blueberries in tubs, but they are deciduous and I don't know if there is a variety that does well in your climate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
You can keep a small fig tree in a pot and it will produce fruit. I've got one that started out life in the ground, presumably the product of a seed dropped by a bird. My mother didn't want it there because it wasn't producing fruit, so I moved it into a pot several years ago and it's now starting to develop its first crop of fruit.

If you want to grow a fig tree on your balcony I recommend that you buy a small one from a garden centre. If you want to grow one from seed it will probably take years before you get any fruit.

Reaction score
There are dwarf trees that might be suitable.

Berries are good too, strawberries and nice and sweet :)

Reaction score
I have a semi-dwarf citrus tree on my balcony. I enjoy citrus cause of the smell and of course the fruit it procures. You would just have to find a fruit that you like. There are a lot to choose from in the dwarf, semi family, from peaches to nectarines. Whatever you like I am sure there will be a fruit that you would find appetizing. Make sure the weight is good for your balcony. You don't want to have your pots falling through the floor.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums Posey :)

Reaction score
I would try to find a dwarf lemon tree or a dwarf cherry tree. You mentioned you like something sweet so maybe you would like cherry. It really depends on how much room you have on your balcony. I would love to have warm weather all year! Well, maybe not. I sure do love playing in the snow.

Reaction score
I have seen some nice kumquat trees that can grow in a container. I am not sure if you can, but what about berries. You may have to experiment what likes your balcony but that may be a good way to go.

Reaction score
Chillies are also fruit, and some varieties are compact enough that you can take them with you when you move.
They are also very decorative plants, with nice foliage, lovely little white flowers and eventually the fruit.

Chillies are considered a fruit? Are talking about the hot chillies?

Ask a Question