Help with tomato seedlings

Reaction score
Country
United States
The leaves on my tomato seedlings are curling and turning pale. I don't believe I'm overwatering them. I water them at most once every couple of days, and only when the first quarter inch of the soil is dry.

This is not seed starting mix. It is ProMix potting mix with about a tablespoon of tomato fertilizer added. I started them in March. Last year my seedlings didn't seem to get off to a good start, and I had some damp off, so this year I've had a rotating fan to circulate the air.

They are near a south facing window, but don't get a lot of direct sunlight except perhaps a couple of hours a day. Lately I've been trying to move them around to other windows so they can get more direct light. I need to probably transplant them, but I'm scared because there's lots of direct sun and we get wind gusts up to 35 mph! My poor seedlings!

Is it too late to nurse them to health?

Attachments

• IMG_20170510_111407932_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170510_111407932_HDR.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 317
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The leaves on my tomato seedlings are curling and turning pale. I don't believe I'm overwatering them. I water them at most once every couple of days, and only when the first quarter inch of the soil is dry.

This is not seed starting mix. It is ProMix potting mix with about a tablespoon of tomato fertilizer added. I started them in March. Last year my seedlings didn't seem to get off to a good start, and I had some damp off, so this year I've had a rotating fan to circulate the air.

They are near a south facing window, but don't get a lot of direct sunlight except perhaps a couple of hours a day. Lately I've been trying to move them around to other windows so they can get more direct light. I need to probably transplant them, but I'm scared because there's lots of direct sun and we get wind gusts up to 35 mph! My poor seedlings!

Is it too late to nurse them to health?
They need to be transplanted and receive a lot more sunlight. All of your plants are suffering from lack of light. The tomatoes need a little fertilizer too. Plant your tomatoes really deep and fix them some sort of windbreak. You can either put them in the ground or in larger deeper pots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
Interesting veriety there. They appear to be doing quite well despite the spindlyness. You can feed with some nitrogen in the mean time and then as chuck said, do a deep transplant when you set outside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/7b
Country
United States
From my experience, to successfully grow nightshade plants from seeds indoors, you have to get a grow light. I've tried doing what you're doing and they never got enough light, they were always really leggy like your plants.

Go ahead and plant them outside, bury them deep, fertilize them, and hope for the best.

What kind of tomatoes are you growing?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I transplanted them outside and they seem do be doing much better. They are Pink Brandywine tomatoes.

Thanks for the help!

Ask a Question