Growlights setup

Reaction score
Hi there. I am currently using 15w Cool daylight and 15w warm white Philips spiral CFLs. They seem to be doing ok, for now. Upon research, most of the indoor growers use at least 100w of light power which I think is too muchfor the electricity consumption. I went to the mall today and found these LEDs by Philips, 13w cool/warm that are actually equivalent to 85w of incandescent light. It costs $18 (Php 800) a piece, comparing it to 15w spiral CFLs that are $4 - $5 a piece. Do you think if I use 2 (1 cw, 1 ww) of these, it will be enough to cover atleast 2x2 feet of growing area? I mainly grow thyme, basil, coleus, balsam and tarragon. Soon as I expand, I will grow lettuce and chilies. I just want to know if these LEDs will be enough. Thank you guys!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's an interesting question! Incandescent light bulbs emit a spectrum of colour (we just perceive it to be a warm white) and plants benefit from variety (sunlight of course having a much broader spectrum). You might want to consider using different coloured LEDs to increased the spectrum - there might be bulbs out there designed with this in mind, although I'm just guessing.

Reaction score
I use grow lights for 3x3 feet of space. I got a whole set of LED lights of different colors fixed on 3 feet holder. This hardly cost me anything as it was personally fixed for me by my husband. I have a lot of herbs growing in there apart from some indoor plants like African violets, geraniums and dieffenbachias. There are many DIY projects for this online which are really easy to follow and build. why not try that? It may work out more cost effective for you.

Reaction score
Hi Maddie, may I know what is your setup? What kind of reflector do you use? Do LEDs come in red and blue? I have lots if DIY ideas but I am still looking for the more cost effective among them. :)

Reaction score
I use a tin sheet behind the light fixture to reflect the light.. a cheap but effective way to do it. The fixture is only about two inches wide but the tine sheet is bent at 60* and is about twelve inches wide. This way I make the most out of what I have, works well for me.

Ask a Question