Growing Food From Scraps

Reaction score
I like to stretch my grocery dollar as far as I possibly can. One of the things I've started doing is saving certain vegetable scraps to plant or keep in water to allow it to regrow again. Here are some of the veggies I've had the most success with:

-Romaine Lettuce.
-Green Onion Bulbs
-Celery Stumps

Keep the bottom intact (at least a few inches tall), and put in a small container filled with lukewarm water. You can either keep it in for a few days and then transfer into potting mix, or keep them in water. Make sure they get plenty of sun. When it gets big enough to eat, just snip off the edible parts. This way they can grow back yet again!

I've heard that you can do this with sweet potatoes and ginger, too, but I've never actually tried it. http://www.gardenswag.com/2011/12/5-foods-you-can-grow-from-kitchen-scraps/

Anyone else have experience with growing from food scraps? Heard of any I haven't mentioned?

-

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to Gardening Forums

I got a Red Cabbage that I grew from the stump of a bought one. Hoping its going to bolt soon and provide some spring greens & broccoli :)

Reaction score
Try an avocado. You just put the seed in some water. It takes a really long time but the plant is absolutely beautiful. I have grown lettuce which I loved. I just had it in my kitchen window and we could pick off leaves whenever we needed lettuce. That was my favorite thing to see grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I heard of growing vegetables from scraps, but I've never tried it. It sounds like a really great idea to save some money:) Thank you for all the information! I'll try to do it with green onion bulbs, because I already have a few of them and I plan to eat them soon.

Reaction score
I have never heard of growing veggies from food scraps like you do. I've done avocados, apple, and orange seeds with varying success but never used vegetables. I do love romaine and green onions as well as bok choy so I may give them a go.

Reaction score
I like to stretch my grocery dollar as far as I possibly can. One of the things I've started doing is saving certain vegetable scraps to plant or keep in water to allow it to regrow again. Here are some of the veggies I've had the most success with:

-Romaine Lettuce.
-Green Onion Bulbs
-Celery Stumps

Keep the bottom intact (at least a few inches tall), and put in a small container filled with lukewarm water. You can either keep it in for a few days and then transfer into potting mix, or keep them in water. Make sure they get plenty of sun. When it gets big enough to eat, just snip off the edible parts. This way they can grow back yet again!

I've heard that you can do this with sweet potatoes and ginger, too, but I've never actually tried it. http://www.gardenswag.com/2011/12/5-foods-you-can-grow-from-kitchen-scraps/

Anyone else have experience with growing from food scraps? Heard of any I haven't mentioned?

-

I do the same thing. I use the bags of dried beans in the grocery store to plant beans and when ever we grow collard greens we cut the stems at an angle and to my surprise new leaves grow. These are greens that we first purchase from the store.

Reaction score
I'm quite particular about what seeds I use, under most circumstances I get them from a vendor here called "Eden Seeds". But that said I have grown from Garlic that I have purchased from a green grocer, I have also had luck with potatoes on one occasion, but have also had an Avocado and Pumpkin seeds that have failed to germinate..

I have never tried to grow from any of the vegetables the OP lists, but really don't see why it couldn't work for any breed of good quality produce.

Reaction score
I am growing lemon grass from a cutting right now. It has rooted well but I need to put it in soil. It really just looks like a long blade of grass. I can't wait for it to take off.

Ask a Question