Garlic Guru Needed! :-)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted garlic for the first time last October, knowing absolutely nothing about growing garlic. Since it takes months to mature, I had time to research. Recently, I researched when to harvest garlic to ensure that I didn't wait too long or harvest too early.

The problem was the contradictory, inconsistent info I found online. No one seemed to agree on any aspect of harvesting garlic! I read harvest when two bottom leaves turn brown, when three leaves turn brown, when at least four leaves have turned brown, when a third of the leaves have turned brown.

Then I began to notice my garlic stalks were starting to lean over, which alarmed me, but I couldn't find anything about “leaning” garlic. Two or three leaves were dead looking on the bottom of the plants and there were yellow streaks on some remaining leaves, and now it was leaning. I decided to harvest.

I harvested it yesterday, not knowing if I was doing the right thing, or not. Many of the bulbs were simply enormous compared to what I get at the store, but I don't even know if that's necessarily a good sign. I know it needs to be cured, but I can't find a definite answer to how long curing takes.

Is there any way to tell by looking at this garlic if I harvested at the right time? Aside from being really dirty, it looks and smells like garlic and looks good to my inexperienced eyes. It's just frustrating to be so uncertain about when to harvest, then to harvest it and still not feel confident you did the right thing.

In case it matters, it is California Softneck Garlic from Country Creek. There's also a California Early Softneck, but I'm not sure if this is the same thing. I did harvest it earlier than I anticipated since I expected it to take 9 months, and it hasn't been nearly that long, another reason I worry.

I need an experienced garlic guru who knows what the heck they're doing when it comes to growing garlic. Please! And thank you! :)

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'm not a guru but I do grow California softneck garlic. :cool:

I'd say you did it right. Now you need to let it dry, out of the sun, for at least a week before removing the tops and roots and storing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not a guru but I do grow California softneck garlic. :cool:

I'd say you did it right. Now you need to let it dry, out of the sun, for at least a week before removing the tops and roots and storing.
Compared to me, you are a guru. I hope it isn't annoying if I ask specific questions. When you harvest, how many bottom leaves have yellowed? Do your garlic stalks begin leaning and do you know why? If it's called
"California Softneck", is it "early"? I've read to cure it for two weeks, and to cure it a month, and you say at least a week (which I admit to liking better lol). But how do you know when it's "cured"? And my last and no doubt dumbest question: What the heck is it being cured of?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I do my garlic pretty much just like I do my onions...i.e. plant in October, harvest in May when the tops begin to fall over. I don't count the leaves but just go by when the tops start leaning over and it always happens sometime in May for me.

The "curing" process secures the good garlic flavor in your bulbs and when most all the green in the tops is gone and browned, I consider it cured and ready for storage. That can take a week or more depending on how dry they were when harvested and the dryer the better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When the foliage dies, less and less energy goes to the bulb - wait till the foliage begins to go yellow, then bend the stalks over; the remaining energy will then go towards the bulbs.

The "curing" process- wait till the stalk literally breaks away from the bub. Then the bulbs are done.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for taking the time to do a little hand holding! :) I am feeling much less anxious about it. I have 21 garlic stalks "curing" and stole a bulb today to try out a clove I needed for cooking. I was very pleased with
it! It washed up quite nicely! A fat, pretty, white, tasty garlic. Gardening so amazes me and I think this is
where I should hang out to hopefully learn more. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
..... and for those inspired by this great thread to grow their own garlic. DO NOT try to use the regular stuff you get in the produce department at the store. It is treated to stop it sprouting, so it keeps longer. Buy garlic intended for growing from a nursery, garden center, or on line.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
..... and for those inspired by this great thread to grow their own garlic. DO NOT try to use the regular stuff you get in the produce department at the store. It is treated to stop it sprouting, so it keeps longer. Buy garlic intended for growing from a nursery, garden center, or on line.
I have used the store bought garlic and not had problems, but read this advice elsewhere a couple of years back so switched to the 'organic' garlic. More expensive than the ordinary one, but still a fraction of the price of the garden centre ones, here at least.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
True, Oliver. I almost mentioned the organic thing, but I have a hard time paying twice as much for crappy looking produce and you would be surprise what they are legally allowed to use on "organically grown stuff here in the US. Splitting hairs sometimes. But you are in the UK, where food regulations on additives are different too. Aren't you glad to be free of all that EU BS? Did anyone ever really think that rock salmon was really salmon?! And I'll make my Cornish Pasties and freakin' call them Cornish Pasties, thank you very much. AND - this is a US one that you probably don't have over there - if it doesn't come from a dairy animal, it's NOT milk! I'll let (tradtitional) coconut milk go on the grandfather clause. And BTW, the meat I eat is real meat, but you know, it is actually "plant based" - it just got processed by the dead animal I'm enjoying a chunk of!! I love to cook, but I don't serve Vegans - they make too much mess flopping around in the hot bacon fat. I do serve Vegetarians, but you have to tell me how you like them done. Here's a really dumb one I just came across "plant based butter". Really?! That's margarine!!

Sorry, I got carried away there. I'll get off my soap box now.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"plant based butter". Really?! That's margarine!!
Unlikely, margarine is actually illegal in some S states, or not classed as food. What you have is probably a vegetable based spread. I am actually old enough to remember margarine, made from whale fat, disgusting.
PS, I am veggie, but I don't hold anything against meat eaters, just not for me thanks.

Ask a Question