Gardening H-E-double toothpick

Reaction score
LOL that would be good, wouldn't it? I swear the people in this village are clueless. Not that many grow vegies, just flowers. And I think the only people that take dirt OUT of the village compost is village maintenance when they need to fill in hole they dug.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I grow all my seedlings in paper pots... It does a good job stopping the cutworms. Doesn't do anything about stopping lawn mowers, though.

He's lucky that in all other areas he is a wonderful husband. The thing that gets me most is he did the same thing last year. They grow outside my brick edged garden. This year I had him help me prepare the bed so he'd remember.. it didn't work.

Gee, how do you manage to garden with all those challenges, lol? I can't believe there is a program in the states that prevents you putting green material in the garbage! I'd heard about that in other countries - It's a struggle down here just to get people to recycle!

Those stupid cutworms are at it again. I saw a moth once and tried to get it, but it flew off. I have a feeling they are mostly nocturnal. I never see the eggs, just the worms when they emerge. At least I haven't been plagued by hordes of hornworms. Now that I know tomatoes self-pollinate, I want to isolate them somehow.

Reaction score
I think every gardener has constant challenges. You never know what the weather is going to do, every season presents new problems.

Maybe that is part of the fun of gardening. Always learning, adjusting.

Do try the paper pots which give you a nice collar around the plants, stops the cutworms in their tracks.

And they are free.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think every gardener has constant challenges...
Do try the paper pots which give you a nice collar around the plants, stops the cutworms in their tracks.

And they are free.

I think that barriers are helpful in some instances, but when it comes to some pests, hornworms and cutworms in particular, covers are likely going to be more effective since the worms don't necessarily get onto your plants by crawling. Moths, like butterflies lay eggs on leaves, they hatch, and the larvae eat your plants.

Ask a Question