Garden Spider Web

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is always a huge spider web every year in my garden! After the initial shock I usually tried my best to take a photo or two. I don't see the owner of the web and I don't bother it either. I figure the spider deserves to have a home wherever it wants, as long as it doesn't hurt us. Here is one huge spider web photo! Share yours :)

IMG_4105-PL.JPG

Reaction score
Woah! That is a mighty spider web you got there! Hehehe! This web seems to be made by an artist, ehehe! That spider is quite talented! It's beautiful! It never ceases to amazed me the amazing patterns they can create. I'm sure the owner was nearby ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That is a typical Garden Spider web. What they will do is hang out at the edge of the web waiting for something to bump into the web. They will then quickly run to what is caught, and pump venom into them to turn the captured bugs insides to a mushy liquid. When hunger rings the dinner bell they will return to suck the doomed bug dry. Warning! spidey pics further down!
DSC_0070.JPG
DSC_0053.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a typical Garden Spider web. What they will do is hang out at the edge of the web waiting for something to bump into the web. They will then quickly run to what is caught, and pump venom into them to turn the captured bugs insides to a mushy liquid. When hunger rings the dinner bell they will return to suck the doomed bug dry. Warning! spidey pics further down!

You caught amazing spiders in action! I am not that brave; I stood further out, snapped the photos and went right back inside. Not that we don't have spiders in the house; we do but they are much smaller :)
View attachment 4418 View attachment 4419

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
What a fabulous web @IcyBC . I am always fascinated by the beauty of a web. @LIcenter - magnificent closeups of the two spiders. I don't care for them but do like to capture them in photos occasionally. Mind you, I don't get as close as you. Here is one I caught in my yard,last year. As you can see, there is a bit of distance between us..lol
Scary Spider (2).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What a fabulous web @IcyBC . I am always fascinated by the beauty of a web. @LIcenter - magnificent closeups of the two spiders. I don't care for them but do like to capture them in photos occasionally. Mind you, I don't get as close as you. Here is one I caught in my yard,last year. As you can see, there is a bit of distance between us..lol
View attachment 4435

I'm never closer than three feet using my 300mm lens standing very still. One thing about my spider as opposed to yours; Mine don't jump, and yours does! Which means you were way to close for my comfort! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
AAAHHH there should be a warning before extreme close ups of spiders are viewed...spiders make me cringe and I jumped away from my computer when I opened this thread:eek:. It is amazing what modern photography tools can do for us though. I also just learned last night that you can wrap spider web around a cut, like on your finger, and it works like a bandaid. Just an interesting fact and it seems to fit the theme pictured here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love coming outside early on a warm spring day, when there's a lot of dew and sunshine. Looking out over the yard, so see all these little spider webs that seem to be covered in powdered sugar - they're white and just shimmer in the sun. You don't see them any other time during the day, but when they're covered with dew and sun hits them just right, they're so pretty. It makes you realize that there's so much in nature that we don't actually see - or that we're just to busy to notice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
AAAHHH there should be a warning before extreme close ups of spiders are viewed...spiders make me cringe and I jumped away from my computer when I opened this thread:eek:. It is amazing what modern photography tools can do for us though. I also just learned last night that you can wrap spider web around a cut, like on your finger, and it works like a bandaid. Just an interesting fact and it seems to fit the theme pictured here.

That is good to know, but I don't think I can even stomach touching spider web. Maybe if we are lost in the woods and was bleeding profusely, I might look for a web to wrap it in. It has to be extreme though :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love coming outside early on a warm spring day, when there's a lot of dew and sunshine. Looking out over the yard, so see all these little spider webs that seem to be covered in powdered sugar - they're white and just shimmer in the sun. You don't see them any other time during the day, but when they're covered with dew and sun hits them just right, they're so pretty. It makes you realize that there's so much in nature that we don't actually see - or that we're just to busy to notice.

Me too! I love to look for web with dews on it, and if I could manage to take a photo, it would be my best day! I also went outside after a gentle shower of rain and look for them too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
View attachment 4435

I love your photo here of the spider! I think it needs some nectar or something to drink. I am very happy for zoom lens when it comes to take pictures of things that give me a chill :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You captured the beauties of these web. I love how the sun shines on them making them sparkle and stand out. Just gorgeous! Thank you for sharing these!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
@LIcenter Your two photos are excellent. I find webs to be both beautiful and fascinating and you sure captured the essence in your photos. Although I have captured many photos of spiders, I haven't been able to get a good shot of a web, as of yet.

Ask a Question