Fruit Bush/Tree Netting

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had any luck with the fruit tree or bush netting that is advertised in the seed catalogs? The netting is very expensive and I am thinking that something similar could be constructed for a far cheaper price. I am wondering if it is worth the effort and if the netting keeps the birds and squirrels away or if it is just a big waste of time?

Does anyone have any experience with netting and does it work?

Reaction score
I have used netting before and it works wonderfully but the ones advertised in the catalog are not worth it you could make some netting your self or you could buy it for a cheaper price else were but netting is the best thing that ever happened to my fruits.

Reaction score
It does work well but if you have a lot of plants to cover then you really have to shop around and find it for cheap prices. I don't have any experience with this but I would imagine bird aviary netting and fish pond netting might be worth checking out. You'd have to make sure the holes in the mesh are small enough that birds/squirrels can't reach through and eat the fruit though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I used it once to cover my peach trees but it didn't stop mockingbirds and racoons from crawling in from the bottom

Reaction score
Nothing is perfect and racoons are masters of problem solving, mocking birds are very clever as well. I only had a couple of small blueberry plants so I was able to keep them covered pretty well.

Reaction score
Although I think that bird netting might work if used on a single tree and one that isn't too tall - I haven't found bird netting to be a particularly good way of protecting my fruit - as apart from the fact that its expensive and involves an awful lot of work to cover a reasonable number of trees - especially as it generally needs to secured - the birds either peck through it or find a way to get under it - especially blackbirds who seem to be especially good at finding a way of getting at fruit.

As I have a large number of fruit trees to protect and have the problem of there being an extraordinary large number of fruit loving birds where I live - and have tried just about every product on the market as well as every means possible to deter birds from getting at my fruit - some of which were really quite bizarre - the only product that I can truly recommend as being an excellent bird deterrent other than having to resort to using as shotgun - is a holographic iridescent tape made for NASA called - Bird X Irri Tape.

However it only works if you live in an area where there is a breeze - as apart from the fact that its not just the noise it makes when the wind blows that causes birds to become disorientated and confused - its also the shimmer of the holographic iridescent material as it blows in the wind - that birds find not only threatening - but irritating :D

Although I've never been able to tell if any of the birds were more irritable or disorientated than normal - I can honestly say that it really does work and is extremely effective too - as since using it I have lost very little if any fruit :)

Reaction score
yes, netting will be too much expensive and i think the Irri Tape might be not as much expensive as netting, or you may also visit the shop to ask about the cheapest but good Bird Repellent Ribbon.

_____
Sarah

Ask a Question