From a "Wind Burnt Country"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
We've just had one of the warmest Februarys but my garden seemed to be coping okay until 2 weeks ago when we had really strong winds for several days at a time. My verbena, the lateral one with the white flowers, has never looked so sad, same as the climbing hydrangea. I know the other hydrangeas don't cope with the heat but this one looks much worse than usual by the end of summer. Very sad indeed. I've been madly watering, not sure if I should cut back or leave until the heat is over. Even though it is now officially Autumn it is still pretty warm. Only fellow gardeners understand:(
rps20180310_114136.jpg
rps20180310_114120.jpg

Attachments

• rps20180310_115114.jpg
    rps20180310_115114.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 244
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Deborahjane, I do understand what you are going through. We have strong winds here, and when combined with heat there isn't much we can do to save our plants. The good news is that they come back next season. Roots are more important than top growth, so your watering most likely has kept your vines alive.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hydrangeas might be saved if you keep watering. It it is in a pot, you could put it in a shaded place. I have my hydrangeas plonked in water throughout the winter and they are still buds. Hydrangeas can take quite a bit of abuse. Shame that your hot winds were like our cold snaps - very lethal. Judging from where it is, surrounded by green, you should still have hope.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No heat, but a lot of wind made everything in my yard look dead, including the trees and the wind did kill a lot of my plants in the garden.

This happened during the last hurricane (Irma), which didn't hit us directly, but came thru with very strong winds in the middle of September, it took the majority of leaves off the trees and forced them to regrow leaves at the end of the year when they should be getting ready to slowly drop them over a longer period of time for the winter. I imagine that created much stress to the trees.

My garden was destroyed for the remaining of the year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
The Winds of Change Hope you Get a lovely Autumn DeborahJane. Hydrangeas Are Getting Really Popular again in Gardens in the UK I can Remember not so long ago when they where so old hat But I always love them:) Every year that the Hydrangeas is There, it will get a little Stronger And Stand up to the Summer better. They Depend on there Roots for a hell of a lot of water. the deeper they get the bigger the plant it will be able to support. I know we all know this but its even more the Case than most large Garden Shrubs that I know of back here in the UK. They just love to Drink(y). A Good General Slow release Feed In Spring it a good way to start them off Again & a light Prune at the same time

Ask a Question