Effects of snow in plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
I live in a town were almost never snows. Yesterday we were surprised with snow, and my lemon trees and flowers were covered in it.

Could this be detrimental to my plants health? What can I do to avoid damage in them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in a town were almost never snows. Yesterday we were surprised with snow, and my lemon trees and flowers were covered in it.

Could this be detrimental to my plants health? What can I do to avoid damage in them?
The snow will not in itself harm the plant, it is the cold temperature. How long it freezes and how low the temps are the determining factor. You may lose some leaves and blooms but as long as the wood and roots don't actually freeze you will be ok.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the snow doesn't last too long, I think you will be ok. Like Chuck said, as long as you don't have freezing temperature then it won't affect your plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have no experience (yet) with growing plants and snow. Here, we fret over freezes on shrubs and trees. The main thing is that the roots get moisture. I watered my shrubs and tree the afternoon before a prolonged freeze, and mine were the only shrubs that survived. I agree with @Chuck on this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b - 13b
Country
Mexico
@granjera , good point. There was no major damage to my trees and I that's why. I watered them before the snow!

Ask a Question