Does Gardening Cheer You Up

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When you are feeling down, do you run outside to work on your garden? I always have found that gardening cheers me up because who could not smile at the vision of new life forming. Each day is like a surprise when you go out to the garden and see what new has grown. There are always new leaves, veggies, fruit, and flowers forming.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Oh, yes! I'm generally pretty cheerful, but occasionally something gets me down. When I'm feeling blue I go out and yank weeds, or harvest herbs or vegetables, or just mess about in a garden for awhile. Gardens are probably the best emotional support a person can have.
And for complete relaxation, there is nothing better than taking a glass of wine to the patio, smelling the herbs, and watching the birds come in for the evening feeding. Contentment with a capital C!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When I'm feeling down, I love to surround myself with peace and beauty, and a garden definitely qualifies. There's something calming about a garden, whether you're actually working in it or just enjoying it. I suffer from Bipolar and the garden keeps me connected somehow in a way that being with people doesn't. There are no social rules and obligations with a garden - it just "is". And for me, to know that I created that beauty, with a little help from nature of course, is infinitely rewarding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It depends on how sad I am. But, usually, it does help. Looking at my pretty roses, fertilizing plants, breathing fresh air and being outside often makes me feel a little better. Like Audrey Hepburn said, “to plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.”

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I like that quote Claudine, she was such a smart woman. I really enjoy to sit outside on a nice summer night with a glass of Merlot in hand. There is nothing more peaceful to me than to be out in nature and just taking it all in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Sorry about the boo boo.

sprouts excite me

filling new pots remind me of childhood days making mud pies

watering is relaxing

tending my babies is calming

but when they get sick, oh my goodness, I go into a tizzy!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Gardening may not make me feel euphoric but it certainly does have a satisfying feel to it. It provides a nice distraction from life while being very relaxing at the same time! Although when I see new sprouts on my herbs it certainly does make me feel giddy!

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I definitely do. Simply staring at nature's beauty makes me feel like thorns from my chest have been removed. It has this power that even though it doesn't speak, it's as if it actually has talked to me and solved my problem/s. My garden is my escape.

Reaction score
I like to spend time outside. I do find it very encouraging work because you can see your progress very clearly when you look back and there's a patch with no weeds, or there's your bed of newly planted flowers.

Getting soil on your hands is also said to help with sleep, which helps you feel better overall.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
When I'm feeling down, I love to surround myself with peace and beauty, and a garden definitely qualifies. There's something calming about a garden, whether you're actually working in it or just enjoying it. I suffer from Bipolar and the garden keeps me connected somehow in a way that being with people doesn't. There are no social rules and obligations with a garden - it just "is". And for me, to know that I created that beauty, with a little help from nature of course, is infinitely rewarding.
I really feel you. It is a very huge achievement to see them grow beautifully.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes I need my garden. The few years I skipped it it really brought me down. I need to be outside playing in the dirt to be truly happy. Now in the middle of winter my free time is spent with seed catalogs, ordering supplies, sketching out bed expansions, deciding on this years projects, etc

First seeds will be started indoors this weekend

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gardening is a great mood enhancer. I can't wait for the Spring to come back around so I can get out there and indulge in the dirt. I am also happy because this year I am getting my daughters involved. I think being out in the garden gives you that special time with nature. It lets you breathe, meditate and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Gardening is a great mood enhancer. I can't wait for the Spring to come back around so I can get out there and indulge in the dirt. I am also happy because this year I am getting my daughters involved. I think being out in the garden gives you that special time with nature. It lets you breathe, meditate and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Aside from having a special time with nature, you'll also be having it with your daughters at the same time. It's so sweet. :)

Ask a Question