Do you compost if you live in a small yard neighborhood?

Reaction score
We have been buying our compost. In interest of saving money and getting better use out of my excess green waste I would like to compost but we just dont have room for a compost pile to be sitting around. Money is getting tigher and tigher and at this point every penny counts.

Do I have other options besides a large smelly pile?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I compost in lidded storage containers and odor is not a problem. The main key is in covering your green kitchen waste with soil so it doesn't attract a bunch of bugs. Someone I know was avid to compost and didn't bury it (or turn it) so there were a lot of bugs every time you opened the lid, but odor wasn't an issue.

If you have really limited space you should compost with worms. It's a lot faster and you can do it indoors in a corner.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another way to use your kitchens greens is to blend them up in the blender and make a tea out of the mix. I blend my organic kitchen waste about once a week and pour the tea around the plants and cover the mix to avoid bugs and 4 legged critters getting into the mix.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I keep a lidded container just outside the back door, but I have kept it in the kitchen as well. One way to keep the odor down is to manage the mix - brown/green/brown/green. Brown is the paper/leaves/dried or decayed and green is the fresh, juice bits added. Scraps need bacteria and heat to breakdown.

Ask a Question