Different types of sensitive plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our garden / yard is a memory trail of places we've been over the years. There's a crepe myrtle - we saw them on our trip years ago with the kids to Williamsburg.

Beauty bush - we saw that at Duke Farms here in NJ. It was designed by the people that designed central park.

And on our trips to costa rica, we learned of sensitive plants. A guide pointed it out growing wild along the trail we were in.

I've gotten seeds over the years and would grow them in pots / give them to friends.

I've collected seeds from our plants. And I bought some seeds this past year. We have 2 different types of sensitive plants now.

the one we are used to that responds immediately to our touch. And grows flatter / not up.

The other is more vertical. And barely responds to touch.

Any idea what the name of 1 vs. the other is so we are sure to not get the vertical version when buying seeds?

I am used to the name Mimosa pudica for this plant and likely the same name I got a while ago and recently. But we are now clearly getting different plants.

This is the flatter version that responds quickly to touch:
2023-08-22 12.06.54.jpg

This is the more vertical version that doesn't respond much to touch.

2023-08-22 12.07.04.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Our garden / yard is a memory trail of places we've been over the years. There's a crepe myrtle - we saw them on our trip years ago with the kids to Williamsburg.

Beauty bush - we saw that at Duke Farms here in NJ. It was designed by the people that designed central park.

And on our trips to costa rica, we learned of sensitive plants. A guide pointed it out growing wild along the trail we were in.

I've gotten seeds over the years and would grow them in pots / give them to friends.

I've collected seeds from our plants. And I bought some seeds this past year. We have 2 different types of sensitive plants now.

the one we are used to that responds immediately to our touch. And grows flatter / not up.

The other is more vertical. And barely responds to touch.

Any idea what the name of 1 vs. the other is so we are sure to not get the vertical version when buying seeds?

I am used to the name Mimosa pudica for this plant and likely the same name I got a while ago and recently. But we are now clearly getting different plants.

This is the flatter version that responds quickly to touch:View attachment 99541

This is the more vertical version that doesn't respond much to touch.

View attachment 99542
Those are very nice keepers. What do you do with your plants in the Winter?

Ask a Question