Could anyone kindly identfy this plant I was gifted today?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I stopped outside someone's home to admire some flowers growing in their front garden and the home owner happened to return and I asked if they knew what the name of the plant was and they said they didn't know/had forgotten and then they dug one up and gave it to me. I'd like to know what it is, for the sake of knowing what it is and also so I know how best to care for it, where to plant it etc.

At first glance I thought it was some sort of Dahlia.
Stands approx. 1m tall.
Quite broad leaves.
Seems to be a perennial - the lady said just before winter hits, she cuts it right back and it grows back every year. Seems to have a tuberous root system.

Attachments

• 20230816_184424.jpg
    20230816_184424.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230816_184418.jpg
    20230816_184418.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Helianthus decapetalus plena is my best thought. It's not always easy to id the yellow daisies - there are so many of them :unsure:
It is clearly a perennial, and I think a very tough one - well worth having, and a good find.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It looks like a teddy bear sunflower to me but I could be wrong. The leaf looks like it's some kind of sunflower. I don't know much about flowers so I could be wrong but sunflowers I sometimes grow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It looks like a teddy bear sunflower to me but I could be wrong. The leaf looks like it's some kind of sunflower. I don't know much about flowers so I could be wrong but sunflowers I sometimes grow.
Helianthus is the Latin name for Sunflower. It belongs to the Asteraceae family.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Helianthus decapetalus plena is my best thought. It's not always easy to id the yellow daisies - there are so many of them :unsure:
It is clearly a perennial, and I think a very tough one - well worth having, and a good find.
I think you've probably nailed it. :) I think on the RHS website they call it Helianthus decapetalus 'Flore Plenus' and the description matches it right down to the rough feel of the leaves.

It's difficult because when you search google images it comes back with a lot of things that are allegedly the same thing but they all look like different plants to me. :LOL:

In certain photos I think the Loddon Gold Sunflower looks close also.

Ask a Question