Cloning and cutting roses

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last season, I had snipped some rose stems and inserted those rose stems into a rooting hormone and placed them into nutrient rich coco coir under a 2 liter soda bottle with the lid removed.

the cuttings got enough light

I pulled up on the stem after about a month and noticed that my rose stems had not rooted,

I'm looking for advice on cloning roses.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cuttings for roses are usually taken as hardwood cuttings, planted in rows of well drained sandy loam slightly slanted, for a full year. Soft wood cuttings that usually work well during summer months on other shrubby plants - they of course root more quickly.
I'll look at finding a good article on the subject that may help you further.
By the way, welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aren't roses in the same family as blackberries? I clone blackberries by tip layering. Really easy and minimal effort on my part. I have a low percentage of success with cuttings. I guess tip layering would work on roses too but it would only work during the growing season.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Last season, I had snipped some rose stems and inserted those rose stems into a rooting hormone and placed them into nutrient rich coco coir under a 2 liter soda bottle with the lid removed.

the cuttings got enough light

I pulled up on the stem after about a month and noticed that my rose stems had not rooted,

I'm looking for advice on cloning roses.
Simple play sand does the job very well. Make your cuttings, optionally dust end with rooting hormone, make holes and place in a pot with sand (watered previously).

Place your cuttings in a shaded space, and cover with an opaque bag to retain moisture.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've taken rose cuttings on the stems that have flowered, I've used hormone rooting powder and did it in late autumn and left them until the spring. Some have taken some didn't. I'm leaving them until next spring to pot them up.
And that @Logan is our good ol' English way of doing it. They are just fine to leave outside in the ground for 12 months. They just take care of themselves and just need a little patience while they grow their roots.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
And that @Logan is our good ol' English way of doing it. They are just fine to leave outside in the ground for 12 months. They just take care of themselves and just need a little patience while they grow their roots.
Yes it's the easiest way to do them.
Some of them that i did last year didn't grow very well, is it the variety or just the cuttings? Tetters.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How much rain did you have last year? It is usually best to make a v shaped trench with a straight up side and a 45% side so that the cuttings can lean. Put horticultural sand or fine grit into the trench for drainage in case there is too much rainfall to make them rot before they have a chance to root.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
How much rain did you have last year? It is usually best to make a v shaped trench with a straight up side and a 45% side so that the cuttings can lean. Put horticultural sand or fine grit into the trench for drainage in case there is too much rainfall to make them rot before they have a chance to root.
No i didn't do that, i just pushed them into compost in a container, i know that i should have but i didn't. The ones that rooted some didn't grow very well, some of the same colour.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hardwood cuttings are far better outside in the ground, and I think some of the varieties might take the full 12 months to root. It's important though to make sure there is adequate drainage. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Aren't roses in the same family as blackberries? I clone blackberries by tip layering. Really easy and minimal effort on my part. I have a low percentage of success with cuttings. I guess tip layering would work on roses too but it would only work during the growing season.
Although roses are indeed in the same family as blackberries and apples too, they do not have the same growth habits - for example, it would be a bit difficult to layer the branches of an apple tree - or an upright, stiff stemmed rose for that matter, which is why different propagating methods are needed.
I do not often grow hardwood cuttings, although I know how to, because propagation was my main occupation, and I had to produce thousands of new plants in a week. Propagation in a commercial way is a bit different to playing in a garden at home when time is not quite so important - and much more relaxing too ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, @gregg- As the person who wanted to know about this subject in the first place, do you intend to return to the forum and make any comments? It would be nice to hear from you again ???

Ask a Question