Clematis at the mailbox

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
For you @alp. Your advice is sage and your heart is warm.

IMG_20190430_184433.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
For you @alp. Your advice is sage and your heart is warm.

View attachment 52958

I think this is The President! I could be wrong. Thank you for the joke! I always want to laugh .. even in the wake of my poor Snowy's sudden demise!

But hey, DM! That's a cracking showy clump and colour! You should start a thread SHOW US YOUR CLEMATIS.. and I will post mine ..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@DirtMechanic, In which season is your clematis suppose to be trimmed?

About now, as the first truly cold weather has come through this week and set the stage for cleanup around here. I will cut it to 12 inches or so (30cm?). The 25-30ish F nights have come later after Thanksgiving holiday in previous years but winter is a bit early. We will warm to 70f by day in the last week of Feb so its time to trim and mix the cuttings from everything into the leaf compost piles used for spring planting in late April. The piles will be a little slow at first in the cold but warm up and even steam through January. I think I will add some stone around the root, something porous but massive, and see if it helps. The mondo grass certainly appreciates a moist rock near the root. Here stone has to be substantially sized or massive enough to hold moisture in our hot summer. Even a stone that has height placed on the south western side of a plant can help the roots. It does not have to surround the plant.

Last edited:

Ask a Question