Chop and Drop Cow Peas

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mr Rockpile you should have known Meadowlark grows some variety if you have been reading this forum. I'm ashamed. LOL.
So why have a Forum with many members asking each other?

Why not all text Meadowlark because he was born knowing how Garden and isn't stupid enough not to know.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I ate nothing but corn for dinner. Love this time of year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So why have a Forum with many members asking each other?

Why not all text Meadowlark because he was born knowing how Garden and isn't stupid enough not to know.

big rockpile
I was implying that the many posts he creates is growing anything from vegetables to cover crops which is variety. However I don't believe he knows how to grow flowers or was born knowing how to garden. As you say, that is what the forum is for, to share experiences and knowledge.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
In golf, some guys try to shoot their age. In gardening, I try to beat my age in # varieties.... number of varieties > age.

Spent the better part of today at Dentist and he said avoid hard food tonight. Had potato soup made from canned new potatoes, onions, and carrots all from the Garden. Terrific!

Flowers don't taste as good as potato soup...or even cow peas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
So you don’t do anything special for planting subsequent time? Just chop via mover and water? No need to burry them?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
So you don’t do anything special for planting subsequent time? Just chop via mover and water? No need to burry them?
Correct...but the peas have to be mature for this to work. Sometimes I concentrate them after mowing...the mower tends to fling them about...and rake them back into a row. They tend to scatter otherwise and that may or may not be what you want.

cover crop 001.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This thread demonstrates how I use cow peas in a chop and drop process in my garden to organically replenish the soil to the status of “No N-P-K” required without the use of synthetic fertilizers. In summer, the peas have a maturity cycle of just over 60 days making it possible to have multiple crops during a growing season.

The demonstration row, nicknamed @big rockpile, is 75 ft long and was planted in pink eye peas about April 1 this year. On June 3, it was shredded in the first round of chop and drop as shown below.

View attachment 99229

The beauty of using cow peas for soil replenishment is that with just one handful of seeds, for well under $5, you can perform this chop and drop multiple times in the growing season without ever having to replant/reseed … if you leave sufficient numbers of mature peas to reseed each cycle. In the photo below, the peas from that initial shredding have germinated and are on their way to a second cycle of chop and drop. Note all the organic matter now in that row.

View attachment 99230

The second cycle progressed into July, once again growing large amounts of great organic matter.

View attachment 99231

By the end of July, they had developed a good stand of matured peas suitable for picking and/or eating. This time, I elected to harvest a small basket full of peas to eat fresh because they are so delicious.

View attachment 99232

As you can see in the photo below, there are still many peas left behind to reseed the third cycle.

View attachment 99233

You can use a lawn mower or whatever to “chop” or you can do this manually with a machete but that’s hard work in the Texas summer. With a mower, it takes less than 2 minutes to shred the entire 75 ft. row. This leaves a natural seed bed in which the peas left behind will germinate in a matter of days and begin the cycle all over again.

View attachment 99234

By early October, this third cycle of peas will be mature and can be harvested again and/or you can take a gamble on a fourth cycle which I have done in some years.

In a season with adequate rainfall (which this is not), this process will easily generate over 300 pounds of green organic matter each cycle totaling approximately 13 pounds of organic matter added per foot of row (assuming three cycles).

According to research performed at Texas A&M, the primary pathway for nitrogen transfer from a legume to the soil is through decomposition of dead legume plant material. The root system and unused leaves and stems of the legume decomposes via soil microbes over time. Nitrogen contained in this plant material is released and is available to other plants.

Significant green organic matter added to the soil and natural nitrogen made available for the next planting. …all for less than $5 worth of seed. Nothing I am aware of in gardening can even approach that kind of

This thread demonstrates how I use cow peas in a chop and drop process in my garden to organically replenish the soil to the status of “No N-P-K” required without the use of synthetic fertilizers. In summer, the peas have a maturity cycle of just over 60 days making it possible to have multiple crops during a growing season.

The demonstration row, nicknamed @big rockpile, is 75 ft long and was planted in pink eye peas about April 1 this year. On June 3, it was shredded in the first round of chop and drop as shown below.

View attachment 99229

The beauty of using cow peas for soil replenishment is that with just one handful of seeds, for well under $5, you can perform this chop and drop multiple times in the growing season without ever having to replant/reseed … if you leave sufficient numbers of mature peas to reseed each cycle. In the photo below, the peas from that initial shredding have germinated and are on their way to a second cycle of chop and drop. Note all the organic matter now in that row.

View attachment 99230

The second cycle progressed into July, once again growing large amounts of great organic matter.

View attachment 99231

By the end of July, they had developed a good stand of matured peas suitable for picking and/or eating. This time, I elected to harvest a small basket full of peas to eat fresh because they are so delicious.

View attachment 99232

As you can see in the photo below, there are still many peas left behind to reseed the third cycle.

View attachment 99233

You can use a lawn mower or whatever to “chop” or you can do this manually with a machete but that’s hard work in the Texas summer. With a mower, it takes less than 2 minutes to shred the entire 75 ft. row. This leaves a natural seed bed in which the peas left behind will germinate in a matter of days and begin the cycle all over again.

View attachment 99234

By early October, this third cycle of peas will be mature and can be harvested again and/or you can take a gamble on a fourth cycle which I have done in some years.

In a season with adequate rainfall (which this is not), this process will easily generate over 300 pounds of green organic matter each cycle totaling approximately 13 pounds of organic matter added per foot of row (assuming three cycles).

According to research performed at Texas A&M, the primary pathway for nitrogen transfer from a legume to the soil is through decomposition of dead legume plant material. The root system and unused leaves and stems of the legume decomposes via soil microbes over time. Nitrogen contained in this plant material is released and is available to other plants.

Significant green organic matter added to the soil and natural nitrogen made available for the next planting. …all for less than $5 worth of seed. Nothing I am aware of in gardening can even approach that kind of efficiency/cost ratio.
Where you get your field pea seeds from? Seed catalogs or big box stores such home depot, lowes, tractor suply.a

Ask a Question