Certifying yard as a natural wildlife habitat?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Has anyone thought of certifying their yard as a wildlife habitat? I've been getting really into native plants and thinking about this for a while now. Texas Parks and Wildlife used to have a "Wildscapes Certification" program, but now they divert new applications to the National Wildlife Federation. I've heard of other states providing benefits for this (HOA yard violations immunity, discounts at plant nurseries), but it doesn't look like there's any (new) movement in Houston. Please correct me if I'm wrong though! Has anyone explored certifying their yards?

Here's the link to the Texas Parks and Wildlife article about it:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I kept bees I was called out once o an old cottage that had 'bees flying round all the time'. Turned out they were masonry bees drilling into the lime mortar the bricks were laid with, "What can I do?" the owner asked. "Three possibilities, ignore them, I have never known a masonry bee sting a human, repoint the brickwork with hard, cement based, mortar they can't drill through, register it as a Site of Special Scientific Interest, and apply for a grant. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Sounds like a good way to have someone else tell you what to do with your yard.
We certified our yard some decades ago. We could find guests on the deck reading the signage and that was fun. Not sure what ever happened to all that stuff....not my area. I mean we built a house in the middle of it.

Ask a Question