Carrots grow well with potatoes?

Reaction score
I am planning to prepare my vegetable garden for the summer. This will be my first "real" garden. I am wondering if carrots grow well with potatoes? I'd like to plant them next to each other and wondering if that's a good idea?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know where you live but here in Texas it is way too late to plant either one. But if not and you have growing time think of this. Potatoes are planted fairly close together and they should have a rather robust plant growing above ground if they are going to produce much. Carrots need full sun and will grow slower than potatoe plants and with potatoes overshadowing the carrots your carrots will be spindly and more than likely deformed. If they produce at all. IMO

Reaction score
Thank you! I live in Wyoming where the growing season is even shorter, so probably not a good idea to start now. Thank you so much for the information. I learning all the "ins" and "outs" of gardening!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you! I live in Wyoming where the growing season is even shorter, so probably not a good idea to start now. Thank you so much for the information. I learning all the "ins" and "outs" of gardening!
I might try a few potatoes just for grins. You still have 120 days at least, Maybe carrots too but not next to each other

Reaction score
Here in northern MN I don't plant till the first of June and both potatoes and carrots have more than enough time to mature before the first killing frost. I usually plant my carrots between my green beans and lettuce.

Reaction score
Thank you! I will try that. I plan to plant green beans and lettuce as well. I'll will let you know how it all turns out! Thanks again!

Ask a Question