Cantaloupes instead of watermelons

Reaction score
Over the summer I had some little plants come up in my compost pile I thought were watermelons. I knew it was rather late in the season but I moved them to the garden anyway. What I thought were watermelons are turning out to be cantaloupes. I should have known I guess, but I didn't look that closely. What a nice fall surprise!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Either would be welcome to me, but I suppose that cantaloupes would be a little better in the fall. Being from the deep South, watermelon is a treasured summer treat. And they are very healthy. I know that watermelons are used therapeutically for some health conditions, especially kidney and liver conditions.

Reaction score
I love cantelope and watermelon. I would welcome a surprise in my compost heap that turned out to be cantelope. I prefer cantelope due to their denser texture. But, I do love the juiciness of a good watermelon. I have found that the bigger watermelons have a better taste. The small ice box size tend to be a little flat in flavor.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I love cantelope and watermelon. I would welcome a surprise in my compost heap that turned out to be cantelope. I prefer cantelope due to their denser texture. But, I do love the juiciness of a good watermelon. I have found that the bigger watermelons have a better taste. The small ice box size tend to be a little flat in flavor.
If you are growing melons, the "stump" melon (the first one on the vine) ill always be the sweetest. Some commercial growers separate these for personal use, and to give or sell to special customers or friends.

Reaction score
What a wonderful surprise that must have been and have to say that its the kind of surprise I would so welcome too - as unfortunately although my tomatoes and peppers are still going strong - all my melons were done for the year around a month ago - oh and would love to hear how it progresses now that you've transplanted it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I like when my plants surprise me, it makes gardening even more fun. Some time ago, I had received a pink miniature rose. After a month, it started producing almost white, big and fragrant flowers:D

Reaction score
Lovely surprise! For some reason I favor cantaloupes over watermelons, got bored of watermelons a long time ago. What an amazing surprise! I wonder what kind of cantaloupes you have!

Reaction score
It has been raining for days and I haven't been to check the cantaloupe vines. I will wade down there today and get a picture. I imagine something is probably ripe unless my grandson trampled everything. I had moved the little plants to the potato bin that was left after harvest and one side is open. For some reason, bubby thinks that's a good place to stand. I guess he likes vines up to his waist. Grandpa chased him out of there there day.He's almost three so he's still to little to understand very well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I like when my plants surprise me, it makes gardening even more fun. Some time ago, I had received a pink miniature rose. After a month, it started producing almost white, big and fragrant flowers:D
Your pink miniature rose was grafted onto some sort of nematode resistant rootstock such as Cherokee rose ( a favorite rootstock for Florida). the rootstock is growing and produced your blossoms. Are they single blooms or double, or something in between?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Your pink miniature rose was grafted onto some sort of nematode resistant rootstock such as Cherokee rose ( a favorite rootstock for Florida). the rootstock is growing and produced your blossoms. Are they single blooms or double, or something in between?
The pink ones were double blooms. The white ones were single.
Unfortunately, I lost this rose, so I have no idea what would happen if it bloomed again. But I'm starting to think that color changes are common in roses. My pink-green miniature developed an orange flower a few days ago:eek: I created a new thread about it here: https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/my-miniature-rose-changed-color.3553/#post-38202

Ask a Question