JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I hear the term "butterfly garden" used quite often. As you know, it’s meant to describe a garden with a butterfly-friendly theme. It’s intended to attract butterflies. Unfortunately, I often see that many of the plants used are not native. In some cases, none of them were. To me, that’s confusing. You aren’t going to see nearly as many native butterflies if you don’t use native plants. They go hand in hand. Sure, you’ll see some butterflies here and there, but just because they might fly over to it, doesn't mean it's beneficial to them. People see the butterflies, so they believe they've created a butterfly garden, but the butterflies might have flown over simply because of the color of a flower, whether or not it was a real food source.

IMG_3680 copy.jpg

Silver-spotted Skipper on non-native Cornflower. Silver-Spotted Skippers are often attracted to the color blue. A native blue plant would be an ideal choice over this Cornflower.

There are certain native plants that are better attractors for certain species of butterflies, and that is something that can be researched, but native nectar plants are always the ideal way to go, no matter what. I recently saw a video of a school planting a Monarch Waystation. Sure enough, some of the nectar plants were not native to that area. That seems ironic to me. Sure, the nectar plants will help the Monarchs, but it’s much deeper than that. The Monarch Butterfly is a native insect that needs help, but it’s only one of many insect and animal species that are in decline. Even though it’s the insect people mostly talk about, it’s far from the only one in trouble. When you plant a variety of native plants, you also help many other declining species. You give them host plants to lay eggs on. You give them familiar nectar sources. That’s the habitat that these insects originated from. It’s the habitat best suited for them. I greatly believe that butterfly gardens need to be exclusively native to truly be a successful butterfly garden.

IMG_3744 copy.jpg

Monarch Butterfly on native Orange Milkweed. Milkweed is both a nectar source and a host plant for Monarchs. Milkweed is required for certified Monarch Waystations

Certain plants grow in certain areas for specific reasons. Those same reasons are why certain insects live in those areas, and certain amphibians and reptiles live in those areas, and certain mammals and birds live in those areas. Everything in nature evolved together. A plant from Europe may feed native insects in North America, but it can’t replace the habitat native plants create. A plant from North America may feed native insects in Europe, but again, it's not a reliable substitute for the habitat that the native insects of Europe rely on.

IMG_1977 copy.jpg

Red Admiral on native Liatris. Red Admirals use nectar as a food source only when their main food sources, such as tree sap, can't be found.

When you plant a butterfly garden, please only use native plants. The same goes for wildlife gardens and pollinator gardens, too. When you start a garden for nature, make sure you provide the same things that nature does. Plants that are native to your country are good, and plants that are native to your exact area are perfect!

IMG_2843 copy.jpg

Monarch Caterpillar eating a milkweed seedpod. (As far as this butterfly specie is concerned, there is no substitute for milkweed. Milkweed is necessary for it to survive.) Surrounded the milkweed is Gaillardia, which is a fantastic nectar source for many insects.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am also concerned about the insects that are needed to pollinate our gardens being killed by the chemicals used by so many gardeners. The Bee's are also in danger from chemicals and people who are afraid of them and kill them. We have carpenter bees damaging our deck, a few years back we did spray them with chemicals because they would attack us if we tried to sit on the deck and my family members are afraid of bees. I noticed this past summer we did not see as many bees swarming the deck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
South Africa
I read an article about "weekend warriors" that were planting indigenous plant seeds along the sides of the roads, along railway lines, in public parks, effectively setting up a network of indigenous flowers for bees and butterflies throughout their neighborhoods. I'd love to find a group of people like this in my town, at the moment I'm part of a beach clean-up group, maybe next time I'll ask if any of them are interested in getting some seedlings going....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have had "butterfly gardens" both when we lived in town, and now on the farm. We have native plants for nectar and for egg-laying, but don't mind if the butterflies use non-natives for nectar;). The wonderful thing is that many of these plants are also hummingbird attractive!
We gave garden tours when we lived in town, and when a cloud of frittilaries would rise from the Gregg's Blue Mist, our visitors would always gasp, and then want that plant!
We found that spreading the butterfly plants around the garden, rather than concentrating them in an area, let us enjoy the butterflies more. As they flitted from plant to plant, we got to see them better and enjoy their beauty.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I am also concerned about the insects that are needed to pollinate our gardens being killed by the chemicals used by so many gardeners.

That is a huge problem. In some cases, plants are already laced with deadly chemicals when bought from garden centers. Bees, butterflies, beetles, moths, and others are being lured to their death, whether or not the gardener ever knows it. Very important to get plants from reliable sources, and very important to avoid using chemicals on plants, including lawn fertilizers. Those chemicals affect the entire food chain. Amphibians, reptiles, mammals, birds, humans. The more chemicals on our earth, the worse things will become.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We found that spreading the butterfly plants around the garden, rather than concentrating them in an area, let us enjoy the butterflies more. As they flitted from plant to plant, we got to see them better and enjoy their beauty.

Since my entire garden is filled with native plants that are beneficial to butterflies, I often have butterflies spend hours in it. Monarchs in particular have spent multiple days in the immediate area. They go back and forth between my native garden and my neighbor's milkweed. they'll rest in the neighbor's pine trees in between our gardens and then continue going back and forth. A lot of fun to watch!

I get a lot of Hummingbirds at my Liatris stalks, and occasionally at my blanket flowers. I've even seen one drink from one of my Orange Milkweeds, once. I'm curious to see how attracted they are to Monarda once mine finally flowers. That's something I'll probably look up, now that I'm thinking about it.

Hummingbirds are especially attracted to my Mexican Sunflowers, which I grow in another part of the yard. They aren't native to my region but since they're a US native and they largely benefit bees, butterflies, and hummingbirds, I continue to grow them every year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've never actually heard the term 'Butterfly Garden' until now, but I think it sounds amazing! I love butterflies, and I'd love to see a bunch of them in my garden. I'm going to have to look more into what might attract what types, and see if I can do this myself..

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've never actually heard the term 'Butterfly Garden' until now, but I think it sounds amazing! I love butterflies, and I'd love to see a bunch of them in my garden. I'm going to have to look more into what might attract what types, and see if I can do this myself..

You can certainly do it!
Some of the top choices in the US, generally speaking, are Orange Milkweed, Swamp Milkweed, Purple Coneflower, Blanket Flower, Blazing Star, Joe Pye Weed, Smooth Oxeye, Gray-headed Coneflower, Black-eyed Susan, New England Aster, and many, many more. The bigger variety you have, the more butterflies you are likely to see.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We stopped using pesticides a long time ago when our neighbor complained of the pungent odor. And now that our garden is pesticide-free, it is now open to insects particularly butterflies and moths who make a nest from the lemon and lime plants. They are the mortal enemies of my husband since budding leaves are eaten by the caterpillars.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can certainly do it!
Some of the top choices in the US, generally speaking, are Orange Milkweed, Swamp Milkweed, Purple Coneflower, Blanket Flower, Blazing Star, Joe Pye Weed, Smooth Oxeye, Gray-headed Coneflower, Black-eyed Susan, New England Aster, and many, many more. The bigger variety you have, the more butterflies you are likely to see.
I'm actually incredibly excited now, haha. I kind of see butterflies as a key feature to a garden. I have to wait until winter is over, though. It's pretty cold and snowy here right now x.x

Reaction score
Country
United States
We stopped using pesticides a long time ago when our neighbor complained of the pungent odor. And now that our garden is pesticide-free, it is now open to insects particularly butterflies and moths who make a nest from the lemon and lime plants. They are the mortal enemies of my husband since budding leaves are eaten by the caterpillars.
What alternatives do you use to keep away other pests? I wouldn't want them destroying my garden.. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
What alternatives do you use to keep away other pests? I wouldn't want them destroying my garden.. :(
The only pests I know that threaten our garden are the rats aside from the insects. When we moved here in 2001, there were plenty of rats and even now, sometimes we spot one in the backyard scavenging for food maybe. We use rat poison but we are very careful because we have dogs that use the backyard for their toilet. We lay the bait at night and check in the morning. When not eaten by the rat, we keep the poison to be re-used on the next night.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The only pests I know that threaten our garden are the rats aside from the insects. When we moved here in 2001, there were plenty of rats and even now, sometimes we spot one in the backyard scavenging for food maybe. We use rat poison but we are very careful because we have dogs that use the backyard for their toilet. We lay the bait at night and check in the morning. When not eaten by the rat, we keep the poison to be re-used on the next night.
Cats can be great for keeping the rats away, at least. Sometimes dogs, too(not sure if you have any pet allergies that may get in the way of that.) I've never actually used rat poison, though. I would be afraid of hurting other animals, and especially my pets.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Cats can be great for keeping the rats away, at least. Sometimes dogs, too(not sure if you have any pet allergies that may get in the way of that.) I've never actually used rat poison, though. I would be afraid of hurting other animals, and especially my pets.
There are cats here, mostly stray. But we discourage the cats because we have 3 dogs who are anathema to the cats. Just hearing their movement in the backyard makes our dogs go gaga. It's not really nice to hurt animals but we consider rats pests and pests are not animals per se because they are injurious and damaging. The rats would destroy anything in their fancy.

Ask a Question