Buddleia problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
there is this well-established buddleia plant growing from next door (empty) next to my fencing, which is growing out of control
I cut the long stems that I can reach to no effect.
So my question is............
Can I get rid of it without cutting down to the roots (which I can't get to) i.e. spraying it onto the leaves?
Any advice is much appreciated.:)

Attachments

• Bud 1.JPG
    Bud 1.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Bud 2.JPG
    Bud 2.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Bud 3.JPG
    Bud 3.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
oK, I guess Ill just have to find another way to deal with it.
I'll try to find another forum maybe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't be so impatient, sometimes it takes a while for someone to get back, we are an association of interested people, not an information service.
My first reaction on seeing the title was "Blimey, the only problem I have ever known with buddleia is it taking over." Ahhh :)
Yes I reckon a glycerophosphate based systemic weed killer should do it, though you might need a few applications. Just wait for a still time of day and be careful you don't get any drift on your own plants .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies Oliver.
I am guilty of impatience I'm afraid.
It's just that this lovely weather we are having won't last will it :cool:
and thank you for your advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
am guilty of impatience I'm afraid.
Gardening is the ultimate cure for that, plants do things in their own time and there are so many things you have to wait for the right time of year to do. On the other hand there is always something needs doing. The person who digs their seeds up to see if they are germinating yet is a standard gardeners joke :)

Do have a trawl through the rest of the forum, a lot is a bit banal, but there are some really good reads, tips and ideas mixed in there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I guess you're correct.
Unfortunately being 75 I don't have the energy or time to do gardening apart from watering at 6 pm ish when the suns down
Apart from that the Buddleia isn't in our garden
I'll just have to hope that the DOFF ADVANCED WEED KILLER works ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With so much to do out there at the moment @foxleybob, Oliver is quite right. I've only just noticed your post, so this is my first chance to comment. Glyphosate will certainly help with this buddleia, but be warned, if it has already flowered, it will probably have seeded itself all over the place. It will depend on the variety. Some of the better cultivars are sterile and cause no bother, like Royal red and Black knight, but if that has a pale mauve flower it will be the wild one like those that filled the old bomb sites after the war. Digging out and constant weeding will be necessary then. If next door is empty, maybe you would get away with nipping around there and cut it down to the ground in order to dig out the roots, and check for more small seedlings. Just read your last post - ha! I'm older than you!!
That's a lovely Actinidia kolomikta you have there (y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately being 75 I don't have the energy or time to do gardening
I shall be 79 this Sept. As my old Aussie business partner used to say "Use it or lose it mate."
On the other hand I know what yo mean about the time, it is amazing how much more there is that needs doing as soon as you retire from work.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Crikes, I feel a weakling now that you guys are older then me.
And there's me thinking I am quite fit for my age.
Wheres my nearest gym!! :D
being totally honest ...gardening isn't the top of my priorities, I just potter around.:oops:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, young man, I think you should get yer fork out and dig a veggie patch - have you seen the price of cauliflower at the moment :eek: - with the farmers all under attack, we will be seriously short of good food very soon.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Funny you should say that. My wife was thinking about an allotment somewhere :D

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How much garden space is there in your garden? You don't need much to grow a few veggies. I've got one part of the garden that is just a concrete slab - too much to dig out without a kango hammer- have used one in the past, but just slightly over the hill now.....so I'm growing stuff in big pots, and adding to them all the time. I have curly parsley, cauliflowers, cabbage, calalloo, peppers, tomatoes carrots and parsnips on the go at the moment - oh and a big cardboard box with spuds in :smuggrin:
I keep the tomatoes and peppers inside the potting shed - but it has a clear ceiling to let the light in.
I leave the bigger veg garden to Zigs - he's younger than me.
I found some miniature bean seeds at the local farm shop, so I have got them germinated, and now am finding some more pots to plant them in. Busy - must go!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's not a bad size garden but has a few small trees, that we encourage small birds tothem. Plus bid box's.
Oh and we have a reasonably sized hot tub.
My wife will divorce me if I discussed changing it (the garden)
Wev'e only been here 5 years and that's how long it's taken to get it how it is.
Its just the blessed Buddleia.
Not to worry I guess we will live with it.
There are worse things in life.:D

Ask a Question