Blueberry bush

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted four blueberry bushes in separate raised beds this spring. Three of the bushes are doing great but one of them has red and yellow leaves. It looks like some are even turning brown and it looks like it's dying. I have attached 2 pictures of the bad plant and one example of one of the healthy ones I have. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    373.5 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    314.7 KB · Views: 373
Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Virginia and the soil is normally around 6 or 6.5. Unfortunately I removed the tags from them and got them mixed up so I don't know which is which but 3 of them are southern high bush and the other is a northern highbush.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I had the same problem with my blueberries over the winter. I am in Southern California and have to amend the soil monthly to keep it acid enough. I got lazy last fall and winter and didn't do it and almost lost all my plants. What few leaves were left, were reddish/brown. After getting back to my soil amending routine, they are doing much better, and in fact they're doing great. Have had a huge harvest so far.

I am by no means an expert, just my two cents. Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Matt, the problem is your soil.....6.5 is far too alkaline. Blueberries will not survive in that. If your bushes are still showing signs of life dig them up and plant in containers of ericaceous soil.....ASAP. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I live in Virginia and the soil is normally around 6 or 6.5. Unfortunately I removed the tags from them and got them mixed up so I don't know which is which but 3 of them are southern high bush and the other is a northern highbush.
Anything over 5.8 and blueberries have a hard time surviving. They prefer a Ph of about 5

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the help everyone. I think I'll try and dig up the worst looking one and put it in a pot until next spring. Is their anything I can do to the other 3 that still look healthy to lower the ph?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can apply flowers of sulphur but lime in the soil will always percolatei to your compost and kill your blueberries :(.
Matt, you are wasting time and effort growing blueberries there. Dig the lot up and pot as I suggested earlier. They will all die if you keep them there......sorry Matt :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I agree with @Verdun. They will not survive in the ground long term no matter what you do. If you can dig them up and put them into a large container full of peat they will do ok. That is what we do here in Texas quite successfully.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's what I'm planning on doing I was just thinking that I should wait until the winter or fall to dig them up but would it be fine to do it now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's what I'm planning on doing I was just thinking that I should wait until the winter or fall to dig them up but would it be fine to do it now?
I would do it ASAP, but the proper time is when the plant is dormant and under normal conditions. Wash away as much of the soil from the roots as you can and have the awaiting container ready

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lime will kill your plants very quickly esp in the growing season...crucial to move them asap . Good advice from Chuck (y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just put the bush in a big container of mostly peat. Should I cut any of the worst looking branches or just leave it alone and pray?

Ask a Question