Blackbirds and similar Grackles.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Last night it rained. I notices blackbirds in the yard and studied them through my binoculars. One was seriously working at picking up white grubs. He had three in his beak when he flew off, I suppose to feed young in the nest. I watched one eat about 15 such grubs in a few minutes, once when studying them.

What astonishes me is I can study the area where these birds have a feast an seldom see a grub, yet they strut along and pick them up without effort
One year I had an infestation of leatherjackets, European Crane fly larvae, They were so prolific that they ate almost all seedling roots planted. Then the blackbirds arrived in flocks of probably 50 about four times a day. for about a week. At the end I could hardly find a leatherjacket. Since I have a fondness for blackbirds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm lucky not to have Grackles or starlings in my yard, when ever one shows up the Robins and Blue jays run them off.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Observing grackle or blackbird out the window again through the binoculars. It had two white grubs in its beak within about three minutes and flew off. A couple robins are around the yard and all they eat at this time of year is earthworms.

I walk a distance of three kilometres along a bush which is mostly paved. When it rains there are many earthworm crawling on the pavement. The robins never collect these in plain view. They have to find their own in the grass.

Also I have observed this year after a substantial rain there are almost no earthworms on the paved path. This I find very strange. However it may still be too cold, since this is a rather low temperature Spring.

Ask a Question