Are these roses done for? Please help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_6193.JPG
IMG_6194.JPG
IMG_6195.JPG
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and new to flower gardening. I've always grown vegetables but purchased a town house last year and inherited an amazing flower garden out back. This guy really knew what he was doing and he was good.

Last summer it looked absolutely stunning. We moved in early June and when I asked what I had to do for upkeep the guy said "you don't have to do anything, they'll just keep coming back better each year".

Well what I didn't know is that I did have to do something with his - now my - awesome rose tree's that flank the front of each side of my patio. I went out to prune them last the other night after watching some videos, and what I found were what look to be black spots (although they're more reddish brown) EVERYWHERE... Literally every green stem has them. They do, however, have some new green nodes. Are these tree's done for? Do I have to start over? Can I salvage them? Or is this normal looking?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

I'm no rose person but that looks like black spot fungus. We need our resident rose expert to have a look @wiseowl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forums :)

I'm no rose person but that looks like black spot fungus. We need our resident rose expert to have a look @wiseowl
Thanks! And yea that's what I'm thinking. But I'm worried because every where I read it says to just cut off the infected areas. I don't know where or when this started, but at this point that means chopping off ALL green stuff... I hope this is salvageable.

wiseowl

\friendly Owl
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
United Kingdom Hardiness Zone 8
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon @Davefromphilly my friend are they floribundas,Hybrid teas,climbers etc, They do look as if they are on their last legs,is there any chance of a photo so that I can see the whole bush maybe a front elevation would be most useful,at first glance it appears that it could be Scurfy rose scale but until I can get a clearer image its difficult to give a diagnosis,but one never give up on a rose even if it means pruning it back this year and its not to late for that

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good afternoon @Davefromphilly my friend are they floribundas,Hybrid teas,climbers etc, They do look as if they are on their last legs,is there any chance of a photo so that I can see the whole bush maybe a front elevation would be most useful,at first glance it appears that it could be Scurfy rose scale but until I can get a clearer image its difficult to give a diagnosis,but one never give up on a rose even if it means pruning it back this year and its not to late for that

Thanks so much @wiseowl. I'll take a pic from the front when I get home from work this evening. I'm not quite sure what they are. Like I said, I inherited them from the previous owner and didn't get much info from them. All I can tell you is that it's a tree (i don't believe a grafted one) with white flowers on the smaller side and VERY FEW thorns... like 1 or 2 per tree.

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_6199.JPG
IMG_6201.JPG
IMG_6206.JPG
@wiseowl these are the best pics I could come up with of the whole plants. And another with some detail of the spots. Hopefully between these and what's above you can get a decent idea.

wiseowl

\friendly Owl
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
United Kingdom Hardiness Zone 8
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning @Davefromphilly my friend its difficult to tell from a photograph,but IMHO I should say that your two Roses are very old and have been lacking some TLC,all I can respectfully suggest is to prune as in the diagrams I have supplied and then give them a feed and then mulch around the base,please don't be afraid to cut them back hard as they need all the help they can get and then its just patience (waiting to see if they revover,if they do then we shall then tackle the other problems one at a time:)

PruningStandardRoseBefore.gif
Rose-image.jpg
Rose-Pruning_Standards_web.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
@wiseowl thank you very much for your help. It's above and beyond what I was hoping for. Hopefully I can gain enough knowledge over time to pay this favor forward in the future.

I'll get to work this afternoon, keep my fingers crossed & keep you posted.

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I knew he'd sort you out (y)

Ask a Question