Ants take over my garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone!
I noticed that I have more and more ant hills in my garden.At first I tried to share the space, but now I noticed that they claim a few more spots in the yard.
I am sure they do some good to the soil, but my garden is small and I cannot let them to take over.
Also my peach tree died for NO apparent reason- it's a big ant hill just right next to the tree. Maybe they 've done something to the roots? I try not to use any chemicals in the garden.
Any ideas how to deal with them?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello everyone!
I noticed that I have more and more ant hills in my garden.At first I tried to share the space, but now I noticed that they claim a few more spots in the yard.
I am sure they do some good to the soil, but my garden is small and I cannot let them to take over.
Also my peach tree died for NO apparent reason- it's a big ant hill just right next to the tree. Maybe they 've done something to the roots? I try not to use any chemicals in the garden.
Different ants do different things. First we need to know what kind of ant it is. Pictures are needed. Most ants are easily taken care of with a spinosad based product used as a soil drench. Spinosad is an organic product safe for people and pets.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Different ants do different things. First we need to know what kind of ant it is. Pictures are needed. Most ants are easily taken care of with a spinosad based product used as a soil drench. Spinosad is an organic product safe for people and pets.
Thanks for the reply.
I 'll try to take a picture of the ants. They are just middle size black(ish) ants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also a picture of their mounds
They don't have an actual mounds. There are just small areas that have no growth . When I try to dig there - ants appear and try to bite me. After a couple of digs I see their tunnels underground and I stop digging.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They don't have an actual mounds. There are just small areas that have no growth . When I try to dig there - ants appear and try to bite me. After a couple of digs I see their tunnels underground and I stop digging.
Where do you live and have you had a lot of rain lately

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

:eek: I was digging out some Creeping Charlie, and got attacked by ants. I try to let living things be, but swarming me, biting me when I am gardening crosses the line.:cautious: I retreated to the house to give it some thought.

Goal: Kill weeds, kill ants, no use of pesticides or herbicides.

I put a 5 quart pot of water to boil. Once I had a good roiling boil, I took it outside. By this time, the ants were more or less congregated in one area. I slowly poured the water on the ground, all around the area where the ants were, but making sure I hit the weeds, too. Then, for good measure, I did it again. It worked!! No more weeds, no more ants! :D (y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
:eek: I was digging out some Creeping Charlie, and got attacked by ants. I try to let living things be, but swarming me, biting me when I am gardening crosses the line.:cautious: I retreated to the house to give it some thought.

Goal: Kill weeds, kill ants, no use of pesticides or herbicides.

I put a 5 quart pot of water to boil. Once I had a good roiling boil, I took it outside. By this time, the ants were more or less congregated in one area. I slowly poured the water on the ground, all around the area where the ants were, but making sure I hit the weeds, too. Then, for good measure, I did it again. It worked!! No more weeds, no more ants! :D (y)

That's so funny! I wonder if I could use it on my horrible weeds I have here! All over my lawn and now matt together as if they owned my garden.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That's so funny! I wonder if I could use it on my horrible weeds I have here! All over my lawn and now matt together as if they owned my garden.

It's worth a shot! Cooking roots will often kill them. :LOL:. Just make sure that you pour it slowly, so the hot water gets down to the root.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Might have a go at the nastiest of weeds. :D

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone!
I've delt with ants in the garden before and lots of them! It was awful. We ended up putting a "mote" around the garden because ours were not coming from ant hills, but from somewhere else. This helped and the gardening experience was fine after that!

Ask a Question