6 air purifying house plants

Reaction score
Hey guys! I was thinking the other day the air quality in my home could be improved, so I started searching online and found this :)

6airpurify.jpg

http://www.vegfriend.com/forum/topics/6-air-purifying-house-plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing this interesting article:)
I have a big peace liliy in my apartment:D It not only purifies the air, but also looks very elegant:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I have 3 out of the 6 in doors. I feel better already :rolleyes:;)I did know about the Mother in Laws Tongue but hadn't looked into the others. Thanks Trellum

Reaction score
Maybe you should get a pair of each, @DeborahJane ;) I am definitely going to try it, in my current place it's already to late to get some pants, but in my new home I really want to get several. Actually lots of indoors houseplants is typical dutch, lol.

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this interesting article:)
I have a big peace liliy in my apartment:D It not only purifies the air, but also looks very elegant:)

Keep them coming ;) They look very pretty! Have you thought of also getting a plant like number 4? I like the way it looks, if you place it in a high pot it loos really nice :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have none of these plants in the house, but I knew about them for quite a while. My house was built with no natural lighting in mind by someone who didn't have much knowledge about this sort of things back in the 1940. I am doomed :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Keep them coming ;) They look very pretty! Have you thought of also getting a plant like number 4? I like the way it looks, if you place it in a high pot it loos really nice :)
My mom liked the plant number 4, so there are a lot of them in my parents' house. I guess I could steal one, lol, but I don't have enough free space in my apartment.
I love the plant number one, it's so pretty:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I posted something similar in the old cigarette smoking thread.

• Reed Palm
  • Dwarf date palm
  • Boston fern
  • Areca palm
  • English Ivy
  • Janet Craig dracaena
  • Peace lily
  • Rubber plant
  • Australian sword fern
  • Weeping fig
NASA recommends using house plants as air filters

NASA scientists conducted tests with many common houseplants grown in conditions very close to those in homes and offices for effective filtering of indoor air. They found after a two-year study that a dozen that were most effective were Aglaonema (Chinese Evergreen), Syngonium (Arrowhead vine), Dracaena (Cornplant), Spathiphyllum (Peace-Lilly) and Syndapsus (Devil’s ivy). These species have been proved by research, to enhance the air conditioning within the home or any enclosure. NASA is constantly conducting research to contribute positively towards the issues of global warming and pollution that threaten the world at large.

http://www.professorshouse.com/your...ants/articles/does-smoke-affect-house-plants/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I remember an aunt who has small palm plants inside their house. At first, I thought those plants bear fruits like berries or something. My aunt said that it gives oxygen. I didn't understand until I married and learned to understand plants. I also believe that some plants can purify the air inside the living room in particular.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
This is very timely for me right now. Ever since moving to Japan, I've noticed that I have a lot more respiratory issues - it's probably just part and parcel of living so close to a large city, you end up with poorer air quality because of all the buildings, all the cars/trucks and so forth. I'll have to see which of these I can buy locally and use to try and help out the air quality at home!

Reaction score
As a child, my grandmother always had air purifying plants. I always thought it was some sort of myth because I thought of it as a way to get her to buy the plants. This is an awesome bit of information and it really proved me wrong. I don't know why I didn't think of the plants as being purifiers in general. They do help us to breath. :)

Reaction score
Up until now I thought it was a myth, until I read the post of another member quoting official sources :O I will definitely stock up on this kind of plants :) And yes, I think most plants can do that, but some are better than others.

Reaction score
This is very timely for me right now. Ever since moving to Japan, I've noticed that I have a lot more respiratory issues - it's probably just part and parcel of living so close to a large city, you end up with poorer air quality because of all the buildings, all the cars/trucks and so forth. I'll have to see which of these I can buy locally and use to try and help out the air quality at home!

Yes, I can imagine it's all that, plus I suspect the Fukushima incident is still affecting people there in one way or another. If you can get several of those, I have heard the air quality over there is not so good, it's so crowded over there. A friend of mine lives there and tell me the same.

Reaction score
I remember an aunt who has small palm plants inside their house. At first, I thought those plants bear fruits like berries or something. My aunt said that it gives oxygen. I didn't understand until I married and learned to understand plants. I also believe that some plants can purify the air inside the living room in particular.

Then your aunt is a very smart woman :) My grandma had so many plants inside her house for the same reason, sadly my mom never did in our home. I can imagine how it would have helped us, specially living in a house like the one we lived. Sometimes the air inside the houses gets a bit murky too.

Reaction score
I posted something similar in the old cigarette smoking thread.

• Reed Palm
  • Dwarf date palm
  • Boston fern
  • Areca palm
  • English Ivy
  • Janet Craig dracaena
  • Peace lily
  • Rubber plant
  • Australian sword fern
  • Weeping fig
NASA recommends using house plants as air filters

NASA scientists conducted tests with many common houseplants grown in conditions very close to those in homes and offices for effective filtering of indoor air. They found after a two-year study that a dozen that were most effective were Aglaonema (Chinese Evergreen), Syngonium (Arrowhead vine), Dracaena (Cornplant), Spathiphyllum (Peace-Lilly) and Syndapsus (Devil’s ivy). These species have been proved by research, to enhance the air conditioning within the home or any enclosure. NASA is constantly conducting research to contribute positively towards the issues of global warming and pollution that threaten the world at large.

http://www.professorshouse.com/your...ants/articles/does-smoke-affect-house-plants/

Amazing, if the NASA says so I have no reason to doubt it. I'm glad that is waaay beyond a myth :) Definitely a great reason to stock up on those plants. Actually my grandma had that kind of plant (Arrowhead vine), she had a lot of those :) Maybe because she knew they helped purify air too, no idea. Actually I did notice a difference in the air quality there and the air quality in my own house as a kid.

Ask a Question