zz plant with yellowish leaves

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
Hi
I googled some time but couldnt help this guy save from this look.I first picked yellowish and dried leaves one by one but couldnot stop it.I sticked a pencil to give zz a right posture. This zz guy sits in the bathroom for 2 years and this has started around january.Some guys wrote that this is normal for zz plant as he is gonna grown again after falling all leaves.The stem does not look to grow any leafe though.
What can I do to save this poor guy ?
Thanks
IMG_2159.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
If it is in a bathroom, it probably is not getting enough sunlight. Also it is possibly getting too much water. How often do you water the plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Too much water and not enough light. And it looks like it's in a glass vase -- does it have holes in the bottom for the water to drain? If not, repot it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thanks for adding that @chrissy-b about the container having holes or not having them in the bottom. Good drainage is essential. The result of no drainage is generally root rot so repotting is very good advice, and the sooner the better.

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
I googled and read that I should spray water once in a month(max) without filling up the vase.Just enough to spray water to dry out easily without gathering at the bottom.I chose zz plant because it needs less sunlight and water so thought it would fit nice to bathroom.The guy sold zz told me that he sells zz to motels to sit in WCs, and SPAs.Actually it is been almost 2 years.It starts getting yellowish since january.I did not repot it without searching a bit.In one forum someone experienced this problem and suggests to let zz dry out completely and says it is gonna grow again from its roots.Sounded logical but to be honest I am afraid to lose zz guy totally.Too risky to try this.
Is there someone owning zz plant?
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Yes, I own a zz plant. I've had it for five years and it has quadrupled in size. It is about three feet tall and wide. It is in a south facing window in very well draining soil. It gets water once a week in the spring and summer and twice a month in fall and winter.

You need to put yours in a container that has drainage holes or it will rot and die. It may be fine in the low light of your bathroom but not in the container you currently have it in.

Reaction score
Country
Cyprus
all leaves fell and I repotted zz with its roots.now zz is sitting on a windows sill with full sunshine.all clean a new beginning.do you think zz comes out again? what can I do at the moment?
IMG_2251.JPG

Ask a Question