Zz plant conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a zz plant that I had been unknowingly overwatering about 1.5 years ago. The top 2 inches of soil would dry out prior to that. The plant was mature with multiple large stems. I noted that the leaves were yellowing. Removed them gently from their pits and found a horribly rotted root system. I followed some suggestions and removed the affected roots, thoroughly rinsed the rhizome, didn't treated with anything and repotted in clean soil. I also divided the rhizome which was quite lage into three pieces. This was based on the condituon of the rhizome at the time. Since then, I have placed them in a smaller pot, as I felt that was part of the issue, and converted to a quick draining soil. Since that time, I have carefully watered the plant and avoided letting the soil retain too much water. There has been some small shoots since then, two leaves max. I went to repot the plant as it had been a year in their existing pots. There is no new root growth. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

ZZ Plant or Zanzibar Gem (Zamioculcas zamiifolia), in the Aroid family (Araceae), is native to eastern and southeastern Africa. It is an adaptable to various light conditiosn, but will grow beterr in brighter situations. It does benefit from regular water, but it needs good drainage.

It is good that you planted it in a fast-draining soil. Let the soil partly dry before irrigating again. If drainage is good there is no benefit to letting the soil get overly dry either. Balance is key. Also to encourage faster growth place the plant in bright light or partial sun and occasionally fertilize with a complete, general-purpose liquid fertilizer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

ZZ Plant or Zanzibar Gem (Zamioculcas zamiifolia), in the Aroid family (Araceae), is native to eastern and southeastern Africa. It is an adaptable to various light conditiosn, but will grow beterr in brighter situations. It does benefit from regular water, but it needs good drainage.

It is good that you planted it in a fast-draining soil. Let the soil partly dry before irrigating again. If drainage is good there is no benefit to letting the soil get overly dry either. Balance is key. Also to encourage faster growth place the plant in bright light or partial sun and occasionally fertilize with a complete, general-purpose liquid fertilizer.
It sounds like no new root growth isn't necessarily bad?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, even in mild temperate climates Zamioculcas zamiifolia should be kept indoors in Winter. I leave a great number of subtropicals outdoors, but I do bring my Zamioculcas inside each Fall. I presume the OP is writing about a houseplant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, even in mild temperate climates Zamioculcas zamiifolia should be kept indoors in Winter. I leave a great number of subtropicals outdoors, but I do bring my Zamioculcas inside each Fall. I presume the OP is writing about a houseplant.
It is indeed a houseplant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I see a lot of microclimates near windows that vary wildly in temps. The thermostat is in the center of the building and the R value of standard double pane glass is barely R2, and even LOW-E is rarely double that number. It bears measuring if a plant is stalled. I do not have a Zz but read that it grows fast when happy, so my first thought is not enough light which was discussed and my second is temp.

Ask a Question