Zucchini plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello there I am looking for some advice. I have a total of 5 zucchini plants that do produce some Zucchinis but then some stay small and turn yellow. What can cause this? It is happening to all 5 plants.

Attachments

• 20220708_094149.jpg
    20220708_094149.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The ones that stay small, do not grow and do not rot on the blossom end have POOR pollination. If the end rots it is because the plant is unable to uptake the calcium or in some cases it is a lack of calcium. A soil test will tell you if you have enough calcium present but most soils have plenty of calcium. The only problem is the calcium is unavailable as uptake for the plant and this problem is known as Blossom End Rot. Some gardeners add calcium but in some soils, such as mine, my soil already has an over abundance of calcium. To make the calcium available to the plant I add a couple of handfuls of Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) around the base of the plant. I don't know how or why it works but in my soil if I don't use it my tomatoes, squash, melons all get BER, but without it I loose ALL of my tomatoes and melons and a large portion of squash. I also loose a smaller portion of peppers and cucumbers.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I dig a hole and fill it with compost for my courgettes, I have even planted one on top of a compost heap before, they like plenty of food and water. I have never had as much success growing in pots and don't much, but when I have I have found just about daily watering is needed. That, of course, can wash out the nutrients if you are over liberal, little and often is the order of the day.
I grow two plants in case one fails, it rarely does and there is usually an excess, five plants you should be knee deep in them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If they are very new then some of the female flowers will often initially fail but it will straighten out as the plant matures. When did you plant? Also heat is no friend of pollen but I have more trouble in that area with other plants than courgettes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Did the flowers ever open? The picture of them looks like they haven't opened and they look very small.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all the replies! I did not get notifications letting me know I had replies and didnt bother to check. Sorryyy. But they do not even open and turn yellow so I cut off.

Ask a Question