Zucchini issue

Reaction score
Country
United States
Friend of mine just harvested this zucchini from her garden. Said she's afraid to eat it. Granted, it does look odd. Any ideas why it grew this way? And, is it safe to eat?
FB_IMG_1597760687242.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Neenie2 :)
This zucchini has just decided to start growing some new life whilst still on the vine. If the seeds are all scooped out, the remaining flesh is quite ok to eat, although the seeds may taste rather bitter. This might be caused by the very hot weather, and can happen in shop bought produce that has been left for a couple of days or so. If it were mine, I would leave it alone and watch what happens, and how it behaves next which would probably be more fun than eating it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum @Neenie2 :)
This zucchini has just decided to start growing some new life whilst still on the vine. If the seeds are all scooped out, the remaining flesh is quite ok to eat, although the seeds may taste rather bitter. This might be caused by the very hot weather, and can happen in shop bought produce that has been left for a couple of days or so. If it were mine, I would leave it alone and watch what happens, and how it behaves next which would probably be more fun than eating it.
Thank you, I will let them know! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Although I have never seen this exact thing I have seen similar growth in yellow squash. If it is the same thing it is caused by a bloom being only partially pollinated.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the weather conditions have caused this to happen. Here we often see it on teasels, when humid/wet conditions encourage new life to germinate before the seed has left the parent thus.....
1597827366233.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
Although I have never seen this exact thing I have seen similar growth in yellow squash. If it is the same thing it is caused by a bloom being only partially pollinated.
Thank you! This might have been one that she hand pollinated, so maybe.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Friend of mine just harvested this zucchini from her garden. Said she's afraid to eat it. Granted, it does look odd. Any ideas why it grew this way? And, is it safe to eat?View attachment 70283
I have never seen anything like that and I grow a lot of zucchini. I’ve had 25 hills going since spring which is normal for me. 25 hills means bushels and bushels. I don’t remember ever one deformed in any way. Since zucchini are such heavy producers I would toss in in the compost. In a day or two she will have one to replace it.

Ask a Question