Zucchini in a pot?

Reaction score
I really want to plant some zucchini. I posted in another thread about our stray cat issue, basically they use our yard as their litter box (eww!). The thought of eating anything planted where cats can spray or worse on it is abhorrent!
Has anyone had any luck growing zucchini in a pot? This way I could put it up on a plant shelf out of the reach of kitties.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I grow them in pots here in the UK quite successfully; growing them in the US (you are from there?) shouldn't present problems.
Take a fair bit of watering if you grow them like that.

Reaction score
Yes, I'm in the U.S. Thanks for your input! I am going to give it a whirl and see how it goes! I used to grow Zucchini years ago and it always did really well. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will do great in the pot! Thanks!

Reaction score
Zucchini is one of many vegetable varieties that thrives in pots. Place the containers in an area that receives at least eight hours of sunlight daily.

Reaction score
Thanks, Nelson! I have experience in container gardening, but for some reason, I'd never tried Zucchini. I was thinking because it gets so large and sprawling, that it would be to constrained in a pot. I went to Home Depot yesterday and purchased a small Zucchini plant. It's all potted and ready to go! I'm looking forward to seeing if it thrives and I actually get veggies off of it! I appreciate your advice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I have grown squash and cucumbers in pots before, and they did ok. Even though they sprawl out, the roots are not that large, it is just that the top runs all over. Cucumbers will also train up a trellis, so you don't have to pick them from the ground. I have not tried doing that with a squash, but it think it would work as long as you are harvesting them while they are still small.
Also, squash have kind of little spines on them, so the cats probably don't want to be in there to do chores, and would be ok to grow on the ground.

Reaction score
I have grown zucchini in a pot once. I had a four iron rods poked into my container and meshed with thin wire to hold up my plant. Zucchinis are huge and need a good amount of support. My iron rods helped to hold up the plants well. However, I didn't have too many zucchinis that year. I wonder why I never grew zucchinis again.

Reaction score
I've grown them pretty successfully in pots too, although the pots were of a reasonable size. I got a decent crop, and I could move them around easily to make sure they got enough sun. There is one being sold in the UK at the moment called 'Black Forest' that is a bit more of a climber, obviously it needs a reasonable amount of support too. I've never tried it myself but am tempted to give it a go to save on a bit of ground space. I love growing them, so easy to get going and tasty!

Ask a Question