Zone 2a 4-life

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello, Gardening forums. I've been a hobby gardener in 2a for the better part of 15 years but have been more serious about gardening for the past 6-7 years or so. I try to start all my garden plants from seed and have done pretty well with the exception of some mistakes. I'm on 1.5 acres of old farm land so soil amendments, water retention and building the soil back up has been on going. My main garden is 25'x 65' of raised rows and 4'x40' of raised cedar beds . Last year I started a ~40'x80' food forest area with a bunch of berry varieties, apple, and will be working on getting some of the landscaping done for low growth plants.
I'm hoping to learn lots and maybe show what has been working for me. Cheers

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

It will be very interesting to hear about how you garden in a relatively extreme climate. Is your Zone 2a from the USDA system or the Canada system? What is the length of your growing season? I see from your profile you grow under lights, presumably to start crop seedlings early. Which annual vegetables do you grow?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi Marck, I'm actually in 3b, there was some confusion from what I was seeing online vs what i thought. So 3a is the zone according to Canadian hardiness map. I plant end of may and for most things they are getting harvested mid sept. It would be a big list of things I enjoy growing and every year I try to do something new. Here is a list of things I commonly grow, lettuce, kale, swiss chard, peas, beans, beets, potatoes, onions, leeks, carrot, peppers, tomatoes, peppers, melons, cucumbers, variety of herbs, strawberries, raspberries. Last year I started what is commonly called a food forest which has dwarf cherry, black currants, raspberry, haskaps, apples trees, rubarb and will be adding a bunch more this year or propagating what I can.

Ask a Question