Yukon Gold potato harvest

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Despite the very wet spring we got a good Yukon Gold potato harvest. We dug them today and here is what we got:
Yukon Goid harvest.jpg

Considering that other gardeners around here lost their potatoes due to excessive rain, we are pretty happy with our Yukons!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
How many plants? Do you know the weight of production from each plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looks wonderful! I was hit with much rain and then blight last year, my first ever attempt at growing potatoes was nipped in the bud, as it were. They are one of my favourite non-floury potatoes though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Durgan, we planted five pounds of seed potatoes, chitted. I didn't think to weigh the results (which wouldn't have been very accurate since I dibbled successfully for potatoes for the last month!), especially from each plant. We were having enough "fun" digging and lugging!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I plant a separate patch for use during the Summer and dig the whole plant when required. The main plant is left undisturbed until die off for storage.

I correlation between seed planted and production is meaningless, since if the potato is cut with one eye it can skew the results. When I first started planting potatoes I could find nothing about what to expect per plant. Now I have reasonably good records. I consider anything over four pounds to be acceptable. The range is 4 to 8 pounds.

Mind you quantity by weight is not the only criteria. Overall quality is determined by evaluating number of potatoes, size of potatoes, depth of eyes, no knobs, no scabs, appearance of cut texture, Some of the determination is subjective to some degree.
Here is one of my efforts, which I use for comparison.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?BKWAI 11 September 2010 Yukon Gold Test Box Potatoes
Yukon Gold Potatoes were harvested today. A total weight of 23.5 pounds was harvested from the 4 by 4 foot test area. The quality is excellent. Another plant could probably be placed in the center of the area without crowding. The average weight per plant was 5.9 pounds. From my experience anything over 4 pounds is acceptable.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
This is another year's production.
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?QSIBX 31 August 2013 Yukon Gold Harvest
Nine Yukon Gold potato plants were remaining after all the vegetation had died off. The average yield was 2.5 pounds per plant, which is low but the size and quality of the tubers is excellent. It has been a dry and relatively cold season. My normal yield for Yukon Gold is from 5 to 7 pounds, but conditions must be good. Seventeen pounds were placed in the cold room.
31%20august%202013%20yukon%20gold%20020_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That are a lot of potatoes and it is only mid May! What a fantastic harvest! Will you still be able to harvest more after this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, they look wonderful!:) It's a really great harvest. What will you do with it? Personally, I just love eating baked potatoes, they're super delicious. If I had a lot of potatoes, I'd bake them all:)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow! What a good harvest! Congrats! I have been wanting to grow my own potatoes, but I am in a drought zone and potatoes are so cheap here. I guess it would be better if I grew my own because they would be organic, but I already have a huge water bill.

Ask a Question