Your most exotic house plant

Reaction score
What is your most exotic or favorite house plant? Mine is my treasured hybrid container plant. It's 5 plants in one rather large container (2 types of Pothos, Hoya, Scandapsus, and a Spineless Yucca). One reason it is my favorite is because, 5-6 years ago, I started the plant from cuttings from other plants I had at home. Once the cuttings rooted, I placed them all in one container and the plant took off. I've re-potted the plant about 3 times now. The next time I re-pot it, I'm going to have to purchase a plastic trash bin, with rollers. With the rollers, I can roll it onto my front porch to water it, and for the plant to get a little direct sun. I've also taken it outside during light rain storms but the Yucca doesn't appear to like the rain, all the other plants do. Since the Yucca is critical to the plants success, I'll have to stick to watering the plant with rain-water and misting it daily.

Here's a picture, but this picture was taken several months ago, so it's much bigger .. It now sits on a 3.5 foot, rattan stool, and I keep the leaves pruned about one-inch from the floor. I've started another hybrid container plant on that same white stand in the image .. This plant, called "Damacleus", grows like a weed ..

container-garden.jpg

Here's another picture of Damacleus (taken about 4 months ago, it's thicker now, because I clip it from the bottom, which creates new growth). To the right, I removed the plants in that pot and they are now in a larger pot, with about 4 different plants growing in one pot. I also added, as the center piece, a small spineless yucca that is a cutting from another plant..

den-plants-nice.jpg

Reaction score
I love these hybrid container plants that you do. You have a real talent for it. Have you ever worked in landscaping or gardening before?
I still haven't bought plants to keep indoors yet, but I will. My favorite plants are my taro and my Alocasia.

Reaction score
Never worked in landscaping or gardening before, although I would love to design an indoor or outdoor flower garden for someone, just don't know if I'd want to maintain the garden for them. I love doing that sort of stuff for myself, but I'm not sure if I'd want to do it for others. Creating the hybrid plants is not that difficult, all you need to do is make sure the plants have strong roots before you place them in a pot together and you also need to make sure that all the plants like the same amount of light. For example, put all low-light plants in one container, medium light in the same container, etc. The plants I have in the images above are all medium-light, or filtered sun light. It can take direct sun light but not for long periods of time. When you're at the nursery, most of the plants will be labeled with what type of light they like.

Ask a Question