Your first plant

Reaction score
It was mentioned in another thread that someone's first plant was the tomato plant. It got me to thinking about what the first plant I grew was.

Technically it was probably marigolds in our flow bed when I was a little kid. Maybe some wild flowers from a seed packet instead....I don't really remember.

Jed

Reaction score
If my memory serve me correctly it was a geranium or pelargonium.
images

Good one for kids to get an interest in growing plants.

Reaction score
I am sure mine was marigolds too.. my dad would give me lots of seeds and let me have my own patch of marigolds..LOL :) I also grew grass for my pet rabbits but I think that came later when I was about four or five years old.

Reaction score
I think I bought one of those little potted violets for my room when I was in high school, but my first actual plant that lived and that I had for a long time was a peace lily that I was given as a gift for my first grown up apartment.

Reaction score
I don't remember my first actual plant. I always helped my Mom with all the fruits and veggies when I was a kid. We had a huge garden when I was little! But my first plant as an adult was tulips and daffodils. Followed closely (by maybe a week or so) by tomato and pepper plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
When I was a child, I wasn't really interested in gardening. My first plant that I care about is my red miniature rose, a gift from my love. Thanks to this rose I discovered a whole new world and I realised how wonderful it is to grow something:D Now I'm obsessed with miniature roses:D

Reaction score
It was a sunflower and I grew it from seed for a elementary school project. My mom helped me remember to water it. I would keep forgetting about the project, I was so young. But, it grew taller than I was and bloomed this big yellow sunflower.

Reaction score
My first plant was a philodendron that a co-worker gave me. She gave me a small piece, placed it in water for me, and it sat on my desk at work. About 3-4 weeks I started to see roots. A couple months later, my co-worker potted the plant for me. That one plant, a few months later began to grow like a vine, all over my desk. In a few years the plant actually out-grew my desk and I had to take it home. Took it home, used white thread and clear tape to tape the vines to my wall (I would place thread around the vine and tape the thread to the wall). Within a few months, the plant was climbing the walls of my tiny, one bedroom efficiency apartment. In the next couple of years, my first plant had grown all over my apartment. It was very easy to re-pot because all I had to do was remove the pot it was in, quickly place the circular block of soil in another pot (the next larger size), fill in the sides with fresh potting soil, water, and I was good to go. It was always cool to re-pot the plant because I would immediately see a difference; the leaves appeared to be healthier and more vibrant after the plant was re-potted and watered.

Reaction score
Mine was a Soy-Bean plant that each of my class mates grew in grade 3. I had a fantastic time observing it and caring for it, considering I was so young! I believe my teacher had us grow parsley as well during the same time frame, but I'm not completely sure. All I remember was that my plant was the most successful one in the class haha (although that might not be a massive accomplishment among a class of 8 year olds).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My very first plant was garlic. I just wanted to grow something and use it for something afterwards, in this case cooking. :)

Reaction score
For me it probably was cucumbers, if I'm not mistaken those were the first plants I truly grew, because I could grow them from seeds. That's something I'm not good at by the way! So it was such a huge sucess for me to do that! After that I threw some morning glory seeds I found, but I'd not dare to say I planted them :p

Reaction score
I always grew plants in the garden with my mother from a young age. If I recall the first school project may have been to sprout a sweet potato. I remember vaguely some tooth picks and a glass on the school window ledge.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
I think it was roses when we go tour 1st garden then my greenhouse and a relative got me in to growing fuchsias and have been growing them now for 40yrs

Reaction score
I don't know if I said this in an earlier post so here goes. My first plant was from a seed I had to grow in school. I was so excited and I couldn't wait to see what it would grow into. I kept it watered and made sure it got plenty of sun and the soil was good. Then after it started to sprout, someone stole it. I was so mad and I looked for it for days. I never found my plant and I had to get another one to grow from the teacher.

Ask a Question