Your favorite green bean is.....

Reaction score
Just a question, what is everyones favorite variety of green beans. Any unusual varieties out there that you like?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm not a big fan of green beans because I don't like the taste of it in general. This is why I don't really care about the variety, I just want it to be stringless:p .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never eaten them raw:confused: This is an iteresting idea though. I think I'll try:D I've noticed already that many vegetables taste better raw. Maybe cooking green beans was a mistake. Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You are so right! I've just tried raw green beans and the taste is completely different. I really had no idea. Thank you so much for the tip! Next year, I'll grow more green beans:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
They can be tasty raw, but cooking can make them more nutritious if not over cooked. I'm not sure of the varieties since beans and peas don't agree with my digestive tract very well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I like the old "Scarlet Emperor" beans, although I always pick them prior to maturity to ensure stringlessness.
With such a bountiful crop, I can easily afford to do this.

I do, however, prefer fine beans, and anyone who hasn't had peas, fresh from the plant, has never really lived.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Try cooking your greenbeans with bacon; it is the best treat ever. That is how my mom used to cook them for me when I was young and I do this for my kids as well now. It is not as healthy for you, but they do taste good. I always use the french style greenbeans when I make this dish as the beans absorb the grease better.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
For me Blue lake, a climbing variety, they are really tasty to eat raw, but just as nice when cooked.
In the UK they are seen as different from green beans, which we usually think of as runner beans, and Blue Lake we consider to be climbing fine beans.
I grow these each year, and they're delicious, raw or cooked.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In the UK they are seen as different from green beans, which we usually think of as runner beans, and Blue Lake we consider to be climbing fine beans.
I grow these each year, and they're delicious, raw or cooked.
I also grow Blue Lake but I grow the bush type. I find that over the entire growing season the bush type have much higher production. However I do grow mine a little different than most folks. I have drip irrigation and plant 6 plants on a 1 ft. circle every foot or at every emitter. I end up with 120 plants on a 22 ft x 2 ft row. The climate here allows 3 plantings per season and the bush type gives 2 harvests per planting. The runner type here grows much slower but over a longer period so there is just one planting.

Reaction score
I like the variety from here, it's very tender. I like mine cooked tho, I always add half a spoon of baking soda to the boiling water before adding the green beans, that way they'll look so green and beautiful!

Ask a Question