Young hawthorn tree drooping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i planted this young hawthorn last year; it's grown well and has produced all these flowers. I did reposition the stake as the wind was causing it to bend a fair bit and I'm concerned I may have damaged it somehow. Yesterday it did recover a bit as the sun was out and it definitely straightened, but with more rain and wind last night it is drooping again. Could the weight of all the flowers, which have recently blossomed, holding the rain, along with it being so exposed, cause this?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 567
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning @Reggie . I can`t see the stake you mention. This tree needs a long firm stake put in the soil where the lawn meets the bed and leaning towards the fence. It needs a good wide tree tie about three quarters of the way up, positioning the tree nice and straight.
The other thing to remember is that even if you get some rain (we haven`t had enough here in Kent) a newly planted tree will need regular watering - a bucketful, until it is established.
Have to just say, I love your tree choice :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that. We weren't sure where to put stake, the wind tends to come down side of house in line with fence. I've attached another photo which shows stake - it sound like we need a bigger one and heavier tie? Our other hawthorn is a different type, in corner of second image (drooping tree in foreground), is more upright, less exposed and only buds so far. This one drooping just had us worried as really love it!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 348
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 326
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, a nice hefty longer stake, into the ground well away from the tree roots is what`s needed. If the wind whistles along there you might even be able to fix that stake with wire to that fence post for extra support. What you don`t want is the tree roots moving about in the wind - that way they have no chance to establish. Good luck, and by the way welcome to the forums :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums Reggie :)
Yes, I agree with Tetters....a longer stake assisted by wire support from the fence.
There is a lot of wind pressure/ turbulence coming from that fence pushing your hawthorn away from it.
As said, be careful you dont drive the stake into the roots.
Rain or not a bucket or two of water every week for a few weeks is important too :)

Ask a Question