United States

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Good title DM. If ever I get pulled over by the police I hope they never do a dark chocolate test on me otherwise they would throw my driving licence away. :)

Food can become an obsession; eat this; eat that; this is good for you; this is bad for you; new diets all the time to lose weight but the only genuine way is to stop eating so much; in all the war films I've seen I've never seen a fat prisoner in a genuine POW camp. I'm sick of seeing food programs on TV. I'm happy with a plate of dumplings and stew that haven't been messed around with to make them look artistic.

As long as I avoid dairy products I eat in moderation and I'm like a stick insect; I must be one of only a few who visited the surgery for the first time in twelve years and been advised to PUT WEIGHT ON. I hadn't a clue what BMI was and confess I'm still not interested but I think mine is 19 or 20? I was ill for the first 57 years of my life in and out of hospital until Bron read out an article regarding dairy intolerance; switching over to Soya was as if I had finally come to life hence I then didn't need to visit the surgery for the next twelve years and I hope its another twelve years before I visit again.

What really does annoy me is the way genuine disabled people are treated and shunned by society who have done absolutely nothing to deserve their predicament while those who abuse themselves taking drugs and alcohol are treated with respect and helped. There's something wrong these days with the world.

Sorry to bang on but I thought your thread was worth a reply; I'm just passing a bit of time away before motorway cops come on TV at 8 o'clock. :Do_O

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
new diets all the time to lose weight but the only genuine way is to stop eating so much;

You're right Colin.I've been on lots of diets and the only one for me that worked is the Fplan diet. It's one that I had to eat more fibre and cut down on fats and sugar. In 1982 when i was in my twenties didn't know a lot about it until i bought the book from the health food shop.
Changed the way how i thought about dieting It had recipes,calorie and fibre for all the foods that can be bought. Realized that i had to change the way that i eat and not just to lose weight. Had to stop eating chocolate, biscuits, pastry and cakes for most of the time. But i do eat them at Christmas. The thing is with me i can eat anything, not allergic to anything.I went to have a blood test for my colesterol thinking that i would be alright, it was up a bit and was told to do more exercise, told her that i do a lot already walking the boys 4 times a day. :)

Some people who can't sleep may find that they haven't got the good micro organisums in their gut. Michael Mosley did a programme on it some time ago.:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Hate starting new threads, so sticking this here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I prefer my fiber to be in the distilled form. Fiber is a fire hazard in some forms and has to be handled with care. Nothing smells worse than a box of Raisin Bran on fire. I keep a six pack of fiber in the refrigerator just in case of a kitchen fire. I keep my toaster next to the sink just in case the bread is too dry and causes a fire. I can just shove the toaster into the sink and presto! No fire.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I prefer my fiber to be in the distilled form. Fiber is a fire hazard in some forms and has to be handled with care. Nothing smells worse than a box of Raisin Bran on fire. I keep a six pack of fiber in the refrigerator just in case of a kitchen fire. I keep my toaster next to the sink just in case the bread is too dry and causes a fire. I can just shove the toaster into the sink and presto! No fire.
Humm, can't say I have ever set a box of Raisin Bran on fire, will take your word for it. Hope you have pulled the plug on the toaster before you shove it in the sink. Anyway, best practice is Arm and Hammer Baking soda sitting near the stove to douse a fire, or a lid, for smoking stuff a good toss of salt helps. Anyway, when I make a steak I have to call the Alarm Company to turn off things as the "browning smoke" can set off the smoke alarm in the hall. Nothing like a big fire engine in your drive when you sipping a martini with a good steak. They guys were cute, that helped. OK, now I get it, @treeguy , you want distilled fiber, hum, gin might have those components, and beer has hopes, (guess that could be considered fiber). Forget vodka--potatoes are not fiber. Ok, moving on. have a good day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Humm, can't say I have ever set a box of Raisin Bran on fire, will take your word for it. Hope you have pulled the plug on the toaster before you shove it in the sink. Anyway, best practice is Arm and Hammer Baking soda sitting near the stove to douse a fire, or a lid, for smoking stuff a good toss of salt helps. Anyway, when I make a steak I have to call the Alarm Company to turn off things as the "browning smoke" can set off the smoke alarm in the hall. Nothing like a big fire engine in your drive when you sipping a martini with a good steak. They guys were cute, that helped. OK, now I get it, @treeguy , you want distilled fiber, hum, gin might have those components, and beer has hopes, (guess that could be considered fiber). Forget vodka--potatoes are not fiber. Ok, moving on. have a good day.
No vodka, I'm not a diet freak, but I observe the, "don't eat white food" regime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Pesticides report in from yet another special interest group. It appears on the surface to me that they measured the edible part for pesticide residue and the result looks like the ones you peel came out ahead. But I did not read much more than the glamour article before dragging the pics back here.
6a2e8ef5-62d5-47a7-94fe-e9ad98eb6995-032019-dirty-dozen_Online_copy.png
d83ccd22-e1c3-4d0f-84d6-2b05b0bba40b-032019-dirty-dozen_Online.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I feel better about picking weeds out of this winter batch of spinach. I gave Becky a 5 gal bucket of chard leaves and she told me to wait, she does not want to spend so much time processing, which for us is boiling and bagging the leaf stock from the winter garden. But with no bugs, fungi or otherwise, very organic.

Ask a Question