Yellow Strawberries

Reaction score
yellow-strawberry-plant.png

These hardy perennial plants, Fragaria Vesca or yellow fruited Alpine Strawberry, are grown in exactly the same way as the red fruited variety, that we are all familiar with.

They have been around a lot longer than you may think, at least since 2005, which is when I first heard of them. Their popularity has increased in the past few years, as they are now reputed to be some of the best gourmet strawberries around, because of their slightly exotic flavor.
The demand for seed has been high over the past few years, with many Seed Suppliers, selling out long before the ordering season has finished. which I can vouch for, as I've also been trying to get seeds, without success so far.

These plants are suitable for strawberry beds, containers, hanging baskets and border edgings, are said to be well behaved and not produce runners, giving them plenty of room, helps to make sure of this and of course gives a more abundant crop, they have a long fruiting season - all summer in fact, but their is one thing that yellow strawberries have over the red ones is, the fact that the birds ignore them, apparently because the birds think, that the fruit is unripe.

Flavor-wise they are said to be much sweeter than the red ones. There are only two varieties, that I am currently aware of, and which one you choose, will very much depend on which exotic flavor you prefer.

The variety 'Yellow Wonder' is said to have a taste similar to a cross between a passion fruit and a strawberry.

The very aptly named variety 'Pineapple Crush' is said to have a heavily fruity pineapple and strawberry flavor combined with a strong pineapple scent, this is the one I'm aiming to try, as due to lack of ingredients for a Smoothie one summer, made a strawberry and pineapple one and OMG it was good.:D

Although I still live in hope that one day, someone will come up with a strawberry and cream, scattered with chocolate flavor, for now, my aim is to get hold of some of those 'Pineapple Crush' seeds, so that I can relive, the taste of that delicious Smoothie I had a few years ago.:)

Are any of you, currently growing these delicious fruits or planning to do so? Either way, what do you think of them.

Reaction score
Woah, I have never seen this! How rare is this kind of strawberry? Also I wonder who created this variety? I wonder if anyone can create their own variety of strawberry ( or other fruit) or do you have to have particular knowledge to do it? The pineapple and strawberry flavor sounds like heaven!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I heard about white strawberries before, but it's the first time when I see yellow ones, it's so interesting! If they're sweet, I'm sure that I would like them:D

Ask a Question