Yellow Pear Tomato's Falling off Before Growing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone can help me determine what is going on with my Yellow Pear Tomato plant. It seems very healthy and is fast growing, but where I expect tomatoes to be, I'm just getting stems where they've fallen off. I've not actually seen any tomatoes formed.

CB03A66E-CA03-4288-8A4F-4A0ED2FCE1E8.jpeg
36B1742A-36CE-4E23-AFAA-100C68E538CE.jpeg
14B1D916-E24E-4789-9310-0DB3D17C9A1F.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For one thing you are in too much shade. They need at least 6 hours of direct sunlight, preferably more. These pictures appear to be some type or variety that is a cherry type tomato. If so then your night time LOW temperatures are not what this variety must have to set fruit. The way I know that sunlight is the problem is the legginess of the plants. The plants in the background are also very leggy, to prove the point. The only tomatoes you can grow under these circumstances are cherry types and even then you will have a limited production. Cherry types are more forgiving when it comes to nighttime low temperatures but even then if they don't get enough sunlight they will abort any tomatoes which is what is happening.

Reaction score
Country
United States
For one thing you are in too much shade. They need at least 6 hours of direct sunlight, preferably more. These pictures appear to be some type or variety that is a cherry type tomato. If so then your night time LOW temperatures are not what this variety must have to set fruit. The way I know that sunlight is the problem is the legginess of the plants. The plants in the background are also very leggy, to prove the point. The only tomatoes you can grow under these circumstances are cherry types and even then you will have a limited production. Cherry types are more forgiving when it comes to nighttime low temperatures but even then if they don't get enough sunlight they will abort any tomatoes which is what is happening.
Yeah, you're right. But these are all cherries in this spot. The Sungolds are actually producing tomatoes. One of them has 19 tomatoes growing.

The one in the picture is a Yellow Pear. It gets about 3 hours full sun and about 4 hours filtered sun.

Makes sense I guess with the night time lows. I guess I should just wait till the temperature increase. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
19 tomatoes is about 1 1/2 trusses on a normal Sungold plant. A 3 foot Sungold should have at least 3 trusses by this time and numerous suckers showing beginning buds. Yours doesn't. You've got to increase the sunlight to have a decent harvest. All tomatoes set less fruit as the temps rise, even cherrys, although they will continue to produce as nighttime low temps rise above 80F.

Ask a Question