Yellow leaves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I have a PHD in handiology
Country
United States
Hi. So yeah I have been pretty busy recently. So I haven't been able to get online much.

Anyway. I have a 12" raised bed that has my pepper plants and one of my tomato plants in it. Most of the peppers and tomato seems to be growing well. But my one carolina reaper started turn yellow a week or so ago. Though while the leaves are a sickly yellow color they feel healthy to the touch.

I filled the bed with some top soil mixed with potting soil and composted manure.

From what I understand yellow looking old growth that arent wilting is a nitrogen deficiency. But with all that composted manure and the fact that none of the other plants seem to be suffering has me confused.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
All plants are different as with the fish I breed, no one soil/water suits all.....so like water for my fish I would be inclined to adjust my soil gradually with a little fertilizer and top spray the leaves in the evening....I'm interested in this post because of the Carolina Reaper chilli...and at the moment is a challenge to get the seed to germinate (this I know is due to heat or lack of it)..please keep us updated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'll keep yall updated.

Are you suggesting adding some more nitrogen to just the part of the bed that the reaper resides in?

The bed is 12'x5'x1' and there are 7 plants in there total. 1 reaper 2 habenaro and 3 jalipinoes with one cherry tomato.

It has been unseasonably cool this summer. A week or two ago we had 4 straight nights where it dipped down into the high 60s with mid 70s the rest of the week. Normally this time of year daytime temps are in the 90s and nights are in the high 80s. But Id think that if it was temp that the other peppers would be suffering too.

This is the second reaper Ive had trouble with this season. The other one died in my proper garden early in the summer late spring. I think I transplanted it too early.

Ill post up pictures when I get off work in the morning.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
One good handful of Epsom salts per watering can, use as a soil drench all over your raised bed.
If it's a nutrient deficiency (which, due to the nature of raised beds, it could well be) it's unlikely to be isolated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ill give it a shot. Given that its a new bed, less than 2 months old, Im inclined to agree with you about it not being a nutrient deficency.

1498829603641589865343.jpg 1498829630923505388582.jpg

What does the epsom salt do? You thinking its a bug problem? If so why not the other plants?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Plants need a little magnesium in order to properly take up nitrogen; it's the most important micro-nutrient.
Epsom salts not only add magnesium, but also sulphur, and in a completely organically permitted way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Alright. Ill try it out and let yall know what happens. Always thought salt acted as a defoliant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Plants need a little magnesium in order to properly take up nitrogen; it's the most important micro-nutrient.
Epsom salts not only add magnesium, but also sulphur, and in a completely organically permitted way.
In a way I think gun powder ;) will be more effective!.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Gunpowder I have, in quantities. Pyrodex, black powder, smokeless powder, titegroup, win231, ect ad nasume? Does it matter?

I might be Bees. Didn't know there was much of a difference between different types of salts.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thumper, is there any possibility it's gotten too much water? (It's weird it's just that corner - maybe it's a bit lower, and the excess water runs to the pepper? :confused:.) I don't think it's a nitrogen deficiency, and based on my reading, I don't think it's the Epsom salt.

Here are some sites to read if you want more info, but I copied the bits I thought might be relevant (and reassuring) for you.

http://thethriftycouple.com/2015/06/08/17-incredible-reasons-to-use-epsom-salt-in-the-garden-for-results-that-will-amaze-plus-the-methods-of-proper-application/ said:
What is Epsom Salt specifically? It is a mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate in crystal form. It comes from the bitter saline spring of Epsom in Surrey, England. Interestingly, it is not actually salt but a naturally occurring pure mineral compound of the magnesium and sulfate, but because it has the appearance of salt, it is named Epsom Salt. Classic table salt is sodium chloride. Epsom salts do not have sodium chloride.

http://thethriftycouple.com/2015/06...amaze-plus-the-methods-of-proper-application/

http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/gardening/expert-growers-recommend-epsom-salt-for-gardening/ said:
Cornell University Assistant Professor Neil Mattson says plants will show visual cues if they are starved for a particular nutrient. If a plant’s leaves turn yellow all over the plant, it can be a sign they need more sulfate. If lower leaves turn yellow between the veins (that is the veins stay green), they may need more magnesium.

http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org/gardening/expert-growers-recommend-epsom-salt-for-gardening/

http://www.naturallivingideas.com/10-incredible-uses-for-epsom-salt-in-the-garden/ said:
9. More Plentiful Peppers
Peppers are another popular garden plant with a higher-than average fruit to plant size ratio. As such, they should also be fed magnesium every two weeks to achieve higher yields of larger fruits. For hot peppers, over-watering can lead to fruit with less heat, thus the soil amendment method may be preferable in this case. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt for every foot of height around the drip line of your pepper plants once per week. (...snip...)

It is almost impossible to use too much Epsom salt in your garden. Magnesium sulfate is pH neutral, so it won’t harm your soil. The crystals break down into water, magnesium, and sulfur – three components which are beneficial in some way to most plants. Epsom salt is safe, easy to apply, and works fast to correct a variety of problems and increase the overall health of your garden
http://www.naturallivingideas.com/10-incredible-uses-for-epsom-salt-in-the-garden/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Thumper, is there any possibility it's gotten too much water? (It's weird it's just that corner - maybe it's a bit lower, and the excess water runs to the pepper? :confused:.) I don't think it's a nitrogen deficiency, and based on my reading, I don't think it's the Epsom salt.

Here are some sites to read if you want more info, but I copied the bits I thought might be relevant (and reassuring) for you.
That is wrong, Epsom Salts is a salt, a covalent bonding of the metal magnesium with sulphur.
A chemist would call it a salt.

Ask a Question